Author Topic: Egg Allergy?  (Read 2295 times)

Offline Mum to F&A

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Egg Allergy?
« on: July 06, 2012, 07:43:54 am »
We found out a 6months that DS1 has a milk allergy and since we've know he's just had it through trialling.

Last night I had to call NHS Direct because he flared up with a red rash on his face and after piriton it kept spreading. All over his face, down his chest and down his back. His face also balloned. Thankfully it did start calming down an hour later and they assessed him as having an allergic reaction.

I've been racking my brains trying to work out what he reacted to and the only thing I can think of is egg? But only me and DH had it with our dinner last night, so it could only have been contact? Can contact reactions be worse than ingestion? Also, he has only been tested for milk allegies so this is only a guess.

I've got some pics to show:

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Egg Allergy?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 00:34:14 am »
Bumping this for you  :-*

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline abbysmomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 01:43:22 am »
Ohh.. definitely looks like an allergic rash. You say it went down with an anti-histamine? Both my boys have an egg allergy (amongst other things) and both can get a reaction thru contact. Tho i have to say, it's more likely to suspect a cross-contamination to a known allergen (like mlik) instead of a new allergy. Did he eat before this happened? How long ago? What did he eat? Generally, ingestion is worse than contact. Is he contact reactive to milk? Do you have a pediatric food allergist? And epi-pens?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 21:10:23 pm »
It does look like an allergy. Has he eaten egg before? There was definately nothing that he could have ingested that was new to him?

Offline Mum to F&A

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 18:39:39 pm »
Thank You for the replies.  :)

He has had egg only once before. He was 8 months and vomited so badly that haven't tried it since.  :o So I can't say for certain that, that was the problem.

Everything he ate that evening he'd had before. Homemade chips, Sausages and beans. The sausages I buy from the butchers, which he didnt eat. The only thing different were the baked beans. Normally, I buy Heinz, but this one occasion I bought some from Aldi. That being said, he has had them in the past.

He doesn't have an epi pen, it's been so long since we've had a reaction to anything I was hoping he was growing out of it.  ::)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 19:36:01 pm »
Could be the egg then. Worth a referral to get scratch tests?

Offline Mum to F&A

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 19:46:10 pm »
Yup. I'm going to get him in to the Dr's tomorrow and see if we can get a referral. Just been putting it off though as last time I had to fight tooth and nail. The severity of  his reaction though I can't leave it any longer.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 19:50:01 pm »
Olly vomited when he had egg the first time, had hives too. That contact reaction looks quite bad TBH. Def worth a test done so it can at least then be repeated over time to see if it comes down.

Offline abbysmomma

• BW Devotee
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 23:18:20 pm »
I would strongly recommend getting an epi-pen, preferably two. In canada at least, you don't need a prescription. Regular doctors (not just allergists) should be able to prescribe one. The reaction you described is epi-pen worthy in my books. Please push for the referral.

Offline abbysmomma

• BW Devotee
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 23:22:08 pm »
Oh, and just so it doesn't look like i'm some busybody with too much time on her hands ;p  my ds1 has an anaphylactic allergy to peanuts, is contact reactive to dairy and eggs, and allergic to wheaat and sesame. Ds2 is contact reactive to eggs.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 23:51:35 pm »
In canada at least, you don't need a prescription.

afaik you do need a prescription to get one here (Saskatchewan). Not sure what the rest of the country is like.

The thing with allergies is that past reactions don't predict future reactions, so there is no way to know when it will be enough to warrant the epi pen.  Spencer didn't vomit, she has only gotten hives and a tummy ache (and turned bright red, not sure what that was about!) the couple of times she had eggs.
Heidi