Author Topic: 9 day old... 2 hourly night feeds but longer daytime stretches  (Read 1838 times)

Offline stardust599

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4

I said I wasn't going to start EASY with our newborn but here I am  ;D  LO is 9 days old and was born at 36 weeks at 5lb9.  However had gone up to 5lb10 at 4days old.  He was fed with expressed breast milk for 2/3 days.

Now during the day he happily wants to go 3-4 hours but at night he goes 2hours so for the past 2 days I have been waking him at 2.5hours in the day which might have helped last night as he did go a slightly longer stretch.  Where do I go from here?  I can't handle 2 hourly feeds as he is very slow and sleepy and takes 45mins to drink his 2-3oz and then another 45mins to bring his wind up (and I can't put him down with wind) so I get 25-30mins between his feeds and I have a toddler to get up with in the morning and sleep deprivation is literally KILLING me!

Anyway yesterday -

Feeds at 7am, 9.30am, 12pm, 2.30pm, 5pm, 8pm.  I had to wake him for every one of these feeds.  He is taking 2.5oz at daytime feeds but it's quite a struggle although at night he will guzzle 3oz! He generally stays awake for 1hour after his 7am feed and 1.5hours after the 5pm feed, for the other feeds he is asleep but still sucking. He self settles day and night with a dummy and white noise.

Last night -

Feed at 11.15 (back to bed for 12.45) then woke again at 1.15am.  He wasn't crying just sucking his fist and very restless so I popped his dummy in and gave him a few cuddles until 2.15am when he was getting a bit frantic.  He drank his full 3oz quickly and easily and  we started gripe water so he was much more settled and back to bed by 3.15am.

He then didn't wake until 5.15am so a really good stretch (this was the only sleep I managed all night!) , again not crying but clearly getting hungry.  I held him off until he got frantic at 6.10am, he was really fussy with this feed and didn't finish his 2.5oz until near 7.30am.  I think half the time when he wakes he isn't fully hungry but is just unfamiliar and unsettled with the feeling of an emptier tummy!

So, my questions are -

Is it okay to keep stretching the time between feeds at night using the dummy or a cuddle?  As long as he isn't crying or upset of course?

And should I wait until he cries before picking him up?  I try not to let him cry as I don't want DD wakened.

Should I carry on with the 2.5hourly daytime feeds to max out his daytime oz's or should I encourage him to go longer during the day?

Should I squeeze in a cluster feed if he will take it?

And should I start a dreamfeed at 11pm (rather than letting him go that little bit longer) or is he too young for that :-S

Thank you for any tips and suggestions.
Mummy to a beautiful girl born Nov 2010 - touchy baby now a touchy/spirited Toddler!

Baby boy born 2nd July 2012 - my very spirited little monkey with MSPI, GERD & dysphagia.  Here to help ask me anything :-)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 9 day old... 2 hourly night feeds but longer daytime stretches
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 20:34:29 pm »
Congrats on your new baby!

I think I would move feeds to 3 hourly so he has a chance to get properly hungry first of all, it may be a feed or so less but if he takes more his overall calorie intake will be more. If you are waking him in the day could he have his days and nights mixed up? Really, I think your best bet is to try and get some awake times in the day so make sure he is awake at the start of a feed and get the feeds spaced to 3 hours so he is taking a bit more.

Enjoy your new baby though - easier to do after a bit of sleep I know!

Laura

Offline stardust599

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: 9 day old... 2 hourly night feeds but longer daytime stretches
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 01:02:49 am »
Thank you, he is very lovely!

Hmm this is where I'm confused. The book seems to recommend starting with the 2.5hour easy as he is low birthweight, jaundiced and very sleepy. And at night he is waking at the 2hour mark anyway. I dont thi.k I explained my post very well but should have said he will only drink 2.5ounce during the day whether he wakes himself at 3-4 hpurs or whether i wake him at 2.5hrs :-S So waking him at 2.5hrs is getting more oz's into him across the day but not sure if its helping at night. Would you still suggest waiting until 3hrs and hopefully after a couple of days he'll take more in at each feed?

Today he took 2.5-3oz every 2.5hrs. Final feed at 8 and he was happy to go 3hrs to 11pm then take 3oz. He has now woken restless and eating his fists at 1.15am but I have offered the dummy and it's now 1.50am and he still seems happy with the dummy. So will wait until 2am which is 3hrs. Should I carry on stretching him with dummy or at his age should I be feeding on demand when he wakes at night? He isnt distressed or upset in the slightest.

I dont think he has day and night muddled although it's hard to tell! He sleeps pretty much 24.7 but is wide awake around 7am and 5pm for an hour. He seems quite sleepy and sound during the night, sometimes wide awake when winding but happy to go back off to sleep without much help.

Its just so hard as he takes on average 1.5hours to settle at night due to wind which only gives me 30 mi. before he gets restless for next feed. So not much sleep here at all. Gripe water and infacol are really helping and its getting better each night. So tired as Ive just managed to snooze between feeds and it will now take until around 3.30am to get him settled (once the wind is gone he will self settle in his basket) and then he will wake again anytime after 4!

Excuse the typos as I'm on phone!
Mummy to a beautiful girl born Nov 2010 - touchy baby now a touchy/spirited Toddler!

Baby boy born 2nd July 2012 - my very spirited little monkey with MSPI, GERD & dysphagia.  Here to help ask me anything :-)