Author Topic: Nutramigen or Alimentum?  (Read 6805 times)

Offline ~Lori~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Nutramigen or Alimentum?
« on: July 11, 2012, 21:28:22 pm »
My DS is 3 months old and EBF.  However, we have an assortment of issues...from reflux, to a possible Milk protein allergy (I am doing TED right now...1 week into it).  He wakes up every 45min-2 hrs in the night and i am looking at supplementing a bit at night time with formula and since all of the milk I have pumped and frozen is before TED, I need to get something that would work with eliminating dairy/soy.

Nutramigen and Alimentum are the 2 formulas I have been told about.  However, I have heard that their taste is pretty bad and with my Touchy baby I am worried that he will refuse to eat it.  Does one of these taste better than the other?  Any tips for getting it to taste better?

Thanks!
Mom to:

DD--Touchy, then Textbook, 2006
DS1--Spirited, 2009
DS2--Textbook, 2012
DD2--Angel, 2014

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Nutramigen or Alimentum?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 21:45:11 pm »
We never had formula but I have heard that they do taste bad. If he won't take them then I have heard that weaning him onto it by mixing tiny amounts with EBF then increasing slowly could help but I guess you don't have the ime or the expressed milk to do that yet  :-[

Offline ~Lori~

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 21:56:39 pm »
I sure wish DS's pediatrician had samples of them.  I am a little hesitant at spending the money on it if DS won't even eat it!
Mom to:

DS1--Spirited, 2009
DS2--Textbook, 2012
DD2--Angel, 2014

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 23:32:38 pm »
If the paed prescribes the formula, can you get reimbursed by insurance? Here so long as you have a prescription for it and don't buy it OTC, we usually get reimbursed.

Elise

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 00:07:52 am »
Hi there hun

We used both and I've tried both. Alimentum is far worse tasting and has a metallic taste. They're both pretty bad tasting but E did far better on Nutramigen both with reactions and in accepting it, and still loves it.

There are a few things you can do to get your lo to take it, but some will take it straight up at that age. I hope yours is one of those los. I called the Neocate company here in Canada and asked for some flavour samples. They didn't arrive in time but the agent suggested using Strawberry Nesquick which we did.do and weaned it as it doesn't have strawberry, soy or dairy. (Don't ask me what's in it) Our justification was it was short term with that amount of sugar and the gain of having her take the formula was far more valuable. Really warm bottles.and lots of cuddles.

Now Alimentum usually comes in RTF cans of liquid that you just dump into their bottle. Very handy as the Nutramigen is a bit of a challenge to mix. I went to the local fitness supplement store and got a shaker with a metal coil ball in it for protein shakes. Works like a charm and I can just take my water and shakers when I'm out.

Feel free to pm me if you need to. This HAF ordeal was a big thing in our house and we learned a lot. Good luck!
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 04:33:13 am »
Just wondering why you are thinking of supplementing?  Not critiquing. Just wondering. 

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d

Offline ~Lori~

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 04:38:32 am »
Honestly, with so many of the issues I have had with DS2 (I have overactive letdown, he is extremely touchy so feeds are quite difficult) as well as him waking up SOOOO much in the night to eat/need settling, I just am feeling the need to try this.  I have never used formula with my other 2 kids, but things weren't as difficult as they are with my little guy.  I am trying to pump after every feed to build a little "stock" but I hardly get anything.  The stuff I do have frozen is before me starting TED so I can't use that.

I love my little guy, but he really is such a touchy/fussy guy and we are trying to figure out some of the things that are making him so agitated ALL THE TIME.  I sort of feel like i am grasping at straws here
Mom to:

DS1--Spirited, 2009
DS2--Textbook, 2012
DD2--Angel, 2014

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 04:44:10 am »
Nope you aren't grasping at straws.  I get the feelings you have.  I had similar feelings too when my DS2 was at his worst.  I distinctly remember saying to DH once that if someone told me that putting fried eggs on my head would make things a bit better, I'd be frying eggs 24/7!! :-[ ;)

I know we used Alimentum with DS1 when he had bad jaundice as it helps clear the bilirubin a bit quicker than other formulas.  But didn't use any formula with DS2.  I was too pig-headed! :-[
The only thing I am a wondering though, is if introducing the formula might add another issue to your puzzle of what is causing him to waken.  Despite having the proteins modified, HAF formulas are still formula.  And that can cause gut upsets in LO's that lead to more gas and bowel issues. 
Not saying don't try it, but do have a low tolerance for stopping IF you see new issues start.

(((Hugs))) hon.  Reflux and food intolerances SUCK the big one! >:(

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d

Offline ~Lori~

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 16:34:19 pm »
Thank you!  I may try to hold off on giving it to him until we can get some of this other stuff figured out.  I did give him 2oz last night at one of his feeds, but he wouldn't eat more than that and i ended up feeding him after that. 

both my other kids had reflux but not to this degree by far.  And no food intolerances either.  I thought #3 was supposed to be easy?  LOL!!!!
Mom to:

DS1--Spirited, 2009
DS2--Textbook, 2012
DD2--Angel, 2014