Author Topic: Too much formula?  (Read 1140 times)

Offline rayasunshine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: July 17, 2012, 04:11:02 am »
I'm a bit confused and worried now that I am feeding my 6mo ds too much formula.  I've just weaned him from the breast in the last few days.  I'm feeding him about every 4hrs so he usually has a 6oz bottle in the morning, early afternoon, before bed and then at the dream feed which puts him at almost 24oz.  He tends drink about 4.5-6oz but more likely 5-6oz.  Plus he's also started solids now too.  Any clarification around amounts would be very helpful.  TIA

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Too much formula?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 05:49:39 am »
That sounds like he's doing just fine! The rec are a minimum of 20oz from 6 months with solids most babies are taking 24 - 32oz. As he gets closer to 1 it will reduce a bit!

Hth!

Laura

Offline rayasunshine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 06:58:26 am »
Thanks Laura! I read in the FAQ's section that from 6-9months it should be 18-20oz divided between 3/4 feeds and I totally freaked. Now if he's consistently finishing his 6oz bottles should I increase by an ounce? He usually leaves about 1/2 to 1/4oz. I just feel like all of a sudden he's putting on weight because now he's not breast fed and is on formula and solids. I think he's just catching up because I honestly feel I starved the poor kid while I breast fed him. I don't feel like I ever made enough for him. Anyways thanks for your help Laura!

Offline rayasunshine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 14:25:48 pm »
So this morning was his first morning bottle and he only took 2oz. Normally he would BF, an hour later solids and the a 6oz bottle before nap. Then he would feed every 4hrs with a bottle at bedtime (645pm) and then the dream feed. Is he just to full still to take 6oz first thing in the morning? He has never been really good at taking his bottle when he's been fully awake- he's always had his feed before his nap and falls asleep drinking. Should I split the bottle and do 2/3oz when he wakes and then do the remainder before nap? Could this have anything to with solids? He's getting about 2.5tbsp at breakfast, 2tbsp at lunch and 3tbsp at dinner.  Any help in understanding this would be great. TIA
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 14:32:24 pm by rayasunshine »