Author Topic: I need help limiting TV please.  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
I need help limiting TV please.
« on: July 17, 2012, 09:38:22 am »
I don't have a problem with my girls watching kids' TV but lately dd2 just follows me round asking for "Peppa" unless I'm playing with her, and DD1 has started asking for specific episodes of specific shows which is driving me insane and tells me her TV time needs limiting!!
I mainly use it in the mornings when I'm trying to unload dishwasher, get myself ready etc. But as of Friday it's the Summer hols so we won't be in such a rush to get out the house so I am hoping to not rely so heavily on it!
When they get up both girls like to sit and have a drink, neither want brek until 30/60 mins after they get up, they seem to want to chill out for a while. I'm thinking maybe we choose some stories before bed to read when we get up in the morning whilst having drinks?
And I also thought about creating a "morning box" or something where I select some toys and try and make them seem more exciting lol!
Once the morning is out of the way it's not so bad as we tend to have play dates, then lunch, then dd2 naps, then I don't mind if they watch TV whilst I prep tea...

Ideas and experiences welcome, thank you.
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 10:11:06 am »
I think that sounds like a good plan Charli.  I like the idea of a morning box!   

but lately dd2 just follows me round asking for "Peppa" unless I'm playing with her,

LOL!  Replace Peppa with 'Mickey' and your DD could be Rosa!!!

I just stopped putting the TV on in the mornings and we'd go straight to the toys or kitchen.  I had guess who or colouring or whatever set up and now they are so used to it that they just go straight to find something else to do.   There are days here that they watch a fair bit of TV but i'm actually ok with that as they are fairly active and play well the rest of the time. 

LIke today, we are having a quiet day at home and the TV has been on for a good hour and will probably be on for another hour yet but R is scuttling about playing the doll and pram and M is waiting for 'get squiggling' coming on so we can copy his drawings (I am very good at it BTW!!).  But we were out all day yesterday and the weekend and are out every day the rest of the week so I really don't mind.   they need the chill out time too.

But i do think mine just asked for TV out of habit and once we broke it (initially I told M it wasnt' allowed on until after our snack..so 11am) its been much easier and she doesn't ask as much.  R still asks every 5 minutes though but to be perfectly honest I am sick to the back teeth of flipping Mickey.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: I need help limiting TV please.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 10:14:45 am »
I've approached this 3 different ways: Let them watch all they want for a few days till it wears off and they realize how bored they are; let them watch one or two half-hour shows per day; and turn the thing off entirely.  Turning it all the way is IMO the best but it's also the hardest work as with their different personalities they really don't engage each other so well so Natalie depends on me to entertain her. LOL (Josie is fine as long as she has a book. :))

If they're asking for specific episodes you can probably use that to your advantage and let them have their morning wakeup time. That's also how Josie wakes up in the mornings for now (won't be able to when school starts as she'll be out the door ridiculously early :(), the same way as I spend some time on BW and Facebook (although I fantasize about spending a lot less time inactive myself LOL). I'd avoid watching before bed as the light from the TV can literally disrupt sleep; it's often recommended to avoid TV/computer a couple hours before bed as the bluish light from the screen interferes with melatonin production (that's your science trivia for the day ;D). And yes, kids can be sad when it's time to turn the thing off, but they do learn to handle it. :)

Here it's been so darned HOT during the midday that I've been trying to shift any screen time to that time; we retreat to the cool basement and put in a DVD or pull up some free on-demand or even see if there's a cooking show on we can all enjoy together.

The Morning Box idea sounds like a good one - I'd absolutely give that a go! :)

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 12:15:55 pm »
we have times when H can watch TV and we do try to stick to it so he knows what the rules are. I do have days when he is tired or it is very wet when he is allowed more but generally he has quiet time after lunch, a short programme after tea and he always has a bit when he gets up which is a hangover from when he was younger and a chronic EW'er and DH and I needed it for our sanity! Rules have def helped here.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Nauvoo

• Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 04:11:53 am »
We also have set rules about tv that took awhile for DD to get used to but once she did she knows if she asks for more I will say no.  It took a lot of reminding her about the rules though.  She is allowed 1 episode (20-25min) of whatever she wants to watch in the morning and 2 in the afternoon (or after lunch).  She generally wants to watch tv right after breakfast but not always.  I like to line up tv time with nap time for DD2 but it doesn't always work that way.  Also, I always remind her of the tv rules when I turn it on for her, "you can only watch 1 show" or "this is the last show and then no more tv for the rest of the day".  This has helped tons for us!!!!!!!

However, I did let her watch more today this morning as I was passed out on the couch during DD2's nap time.  Luckily she was so occupied in the afternoon she didn't watch any.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[