Author Topic: How many 2yo kids can play alone for 2 hrs?  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Crabsmile

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How many 2yo kids can play alone for 2 hrs?
« on: July 18, 2012, 06:17:00 am »
Just heard a relative's 2yo son can play alone with about 5 cars for 2 hrs!!! Wow, how amazing! My 17mo son won't let me even finish my dinner. He want my accompany all the time from when he's born. If not he will be very weepy and grumpy. Do you think he's spoiled?

Offline Papaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
Re: How many 2yo kids can play alone for 2 hrs?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 06:33:19 am »
No, I don't think you can spoil LOs at this age :) There's a big difference btw 17 months and 2 years, but tbh I think being able to play independently for so long at even 2 yrs is rare!

Have you heard of the cycle of activity? It's a way of starting to encourage more independent play by setting your LO up with an activity, playing a bit together, leaving him for a short time, joining him again and giving him new ideas, etc. http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=228138.0

Also remember that at 17/18 months it's common for LOs to go through another phase of separation anxiety, so they may be more clingy and want your company all the time. At the moment, my LO ALWAYS wants me to carry her, even though she can walk very well herself. This is normal and will pass - but in the meantime it's good to give lots of extra cuddles and attention so your LO feels secure :) Teeth coming through can also make LO grumpy and clingy - or tiredness, perhaps he's getting tired at dinnertime?

xx
*Nuala*

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 07:19:04 am »
My 5 year old won't play by herself for 2 hours! Definitely not the norm. There is a big difference between 17 months and 2 years, but even so I don't think you should expect him to be able to play for that long by himself when he is 2. As pp said, there are things that you can do to help them learn to play for a bit longer, but essentially they need you involved for quite a long time.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 08:48:58 am »
My 21 mth old can play alone sometimes up to 45 mins, other times 5 mins ::) never 2 hrs! ;)

I totally agree With both Nuala and clazzat...totally normal that your LO can't play lone for that long.... :D
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 08:51:54 am »
nope, never heard of that! Don't be swayed by it.  It isn't good or bad, just different! :)

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 11:19:34 am »
My DS definitely can't play alone for 2 hours.  Like pp said, for my DS, the amount of independent play can vary from day to day.  Your LO is totally normal!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 12:05:03 pm »
my 6 yr old can just about do around 1.5 hrs of independent play/pottering on a good day. He's an EWer and is up everyday around 6am and usually on the weekends does not come to us before 7.30am. This took a LOT of support, encouragement etc over the years, we started around age 3.

By independent play I also mean we have self-care in that 1.5 hrs - toileting, dressing, getting brekkie for himself, colouring, drawing, legos, puzzles etc. Max he can do 2 hrs.

My 3 yr old is rarely "alone" as she always has or mainly has him around. If left to her own devices I think she could do around 40 ish minutes on a very good day but she doesn't get much opportunity.

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!