Author Topic: 4 month old will only take bottle lying in cot in dark- help!!!  (Read 1271 times)

Offline ellabellamum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My 4 month old boy started off taking his bottle sitting on my knee as usual but after few weeks I made a bad mistake and let him feed lying in his cot as he helped him continue to sleep rather than lifting him for nf and him waking up. Since then he has wanted all feeds lying in his cot and if I try and feed him on my knee he fusses and cries and will not take bottle. Now as soon as I put in knee bottle feeding position he starts to cry but as soon as I lay him in cot he will take feed no bother???!!! I am totally bemused and dont know if this is just a bad habit or need. surely if he had reflux or something he couldnt lie in cot to take feed as acid would cause him to be uncomfortable??!! He is very gassy baby too and passes wind all day.
any help appreciated as i dont know what to do.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 4 month old will only take bottle lying in cot in dark- help!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 12:28:51 pm »
Have you tried feeding him sitting in a dark room? If you haven't got his cot elevated I wouldn't feed him lying down as there is a danger of choking and it can cause ear infections. Have you tried propping him up on firm pillows?

Laura

Offline ellabellamum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 18:28:04 pm »
cot is propped and slow flow teat used and i never leave him so no danger of him choking. I have been trying your suggestion of feeding in dark room beside cot and that seems to be working although he isnt taking his whole bottle which he always did lying in propped cot. will try feeding on firm pillow on my knee also.

Offline ~Lori~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 18:44:18 pm »
I would try the suggestion of putting him propped up against pillows.  This was the only way my DD would take a bottle when she was 4-5 mths old.
Mom to:

DD--Touchy, then Textbook, 2006
DS1--Spirited, 2009
DS2--Textbook, 2012
DD2--Angel, 2014