Author Topic: Trialing cow milk, hates taste, help please  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
Trialing cow milk, hates taste, help please
« on: August 06, 2012, 13:42:59 pm »
We are trialing cow's milk, and the protocol states to start with one ounce, every 24 hours (if without negative reaction) for three days, and it builds up very slowly from there.  Wyatt is still getting the Neocate in his bottle (2, 8 ounce bottles a day) and water in his cup at meals and whenever.  He loves the cup, has no issues.  All he has ever had in it is water, and all he has ever had in the bottle is Neocate.

At his 12m check up, our pedi schooled me a bit on the fact that he still had a bottle ::) and I explained that when we start the cow milk, my plan was to put the milk in a cup as I have tried Neocate in the cup and he just won't drink it.  He spits it out and throws the cup.

This morning I put the 12 ounce of cow milk in his cup and he took a sip, and then threw the cup on the floor and tried to wipe his tongue off saying yuck.  So, I put the remaining ounce in his bottle with the Neocate and he drank everything.

So, how am to go forward with him disliking the taste of anything but water in his sippy cup?  I'm not comfortable adding anything flavor wise to the cow milk because it is a milk trial and I don't want to confuse anything in regards to that.  Should I try a straw cup and use that just for milk?

Any ideas are much appreciated.  Please feel free to move, I wasn't sure where to post.

Zoey

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Trialing cow milk, hates taste, help please
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 15:43:50 pm »
Umm...honestly he is only one...I would stick with the bottle while transitioning to milk and then tackle the cup. We went to a two handled sippy cup and then a straw cup, and at 4 years old are still using that straw cup.  The thing is, I know she is capable of drinking from a real cup (she does at daycare) but I like to not have to steam clean my carpet & couches so we stick with a spill proof cup! Even Masyn uses a sport type spill proof cup unless she is at the table.
Heidi

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 16:50:53 pm »
I think you're right.  Thanks for the insight, and for replying in general. :)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 17:14:49 pm »
I think you're right.  Thanks for the insight, and for replying in general. :)

:)  you're welcome...I didn't mention that both my kids went to sippy cups at 5 and 7 months respectively, the bottle just wasn't fast enough for them, even when I slit the nipple open!  But, if I have learned anything from my "non-typical" Spencer...whatever works for you is what matters! 

Oh, and maybe worth mentioning that it took trying many, many cups before I realized that Spencer would only drink from a Nuby sippy that had a clear, soft "nipple" spout like a bottle and was clear so she could see the milk.  Anything with a solid top was discarded until she was alot older.  Sucked, though, because she could chew open the tops of them so I had to shell out for new ones all the time!
Heidi

Offline lilisuze

• Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 17:38:03 pm »
we have done just the same, and still not converted properly from bottle. after 8 weeks, shell now have about 3 oz of cows milk from either a valved sip cup or straw but happily chug a full bottle!

I just took it slow with mixed wean from formula, then tried in the cup. I think we're slowly getting there
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 19:48:45 pm »
He won't take anything but water in the cup still.  He is only 22lbs and 32 inches tall so I'm more concerned about him actually drinking the formula/milk then if the pedi thinks I'm an unfit mom over a bottle ;)

I'll tackle the bottle another time.  Thanks ladies.

Offline lilisuze

• Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 20:39:34 pm »
wow 22 pounds, DD is 18 lol! maybe I should be worried being an unfit mother! I found the slow wean worked well over about 3 weeks I gradually went from half an ounce of milk in the formula to 1 then 2 until she took it all
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 21:26:03 pm »
I think pedi's get their panties in a bunch over the bottle because they assume people are letting their kids wander around the house with them, slurp on them in the cart at walmart, fall asleep with them, etc. 

IMO a toddler having a bottle of milk 3-4 times a day as part of a routine is no big deal and I can't see any risk of it causing any trouble. 

I hope your trial goes well!