Author Topic: Breakfast Suggestions Anyone?  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Feefeena

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 16, 2012, 10:36:43 am »
Hi all

My DS is 16 months old and a bit fussy with his food.  He is not keen on very sweet flavours so we have been giving him weetabix for his breakfast pretty much every day. We tried ready brek but it contains maltodextrin which I've read is not good for LO.  DS didn't like it much anyway!

He struggles with chewing toast or bread even though he has most of his teeth through. I think his gums are a bit sore as it appears a canine tooth has been trying to erupt (seems like forever.

Anyway, my question is, can anyone suggest a health breakfast option for DS that is also not sweet?

TIA

Offline cuckoochick

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
Re: Breakfast Suggestions Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 11:00:22 am »
I'd never heard anything about maltodextrin and my DD has Ready-brek fairly regularly with fruit compote so I'm off to do some googling.

Other things we do for breakfasts here are: Weetabix, toast with cheese spread, peanut butter or just butter, boiled eggs and soldiers, scrambled eggs on toast and occasionally unsweetened pancakes with blueberries (although DH and I put syrup on ours!!). We haven't had crumpets in a while but C likes those too.  On very rare occasions (i.e. birthdays we might have croissants or pain au chocolat).

Breakfast always includes lots of fruit here too.

Hope that helps. C has been choosing weetabix every day for weeks but must have sickened herself as today she chose porridge!

*Nicola*

Offline Feefeena

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 12:28:09 pm »
Hi and thanks for all those great suggestions. The ready brek we have tried is honey flavour and that's where the maltodextrin is in I think. I think I might have read it in a gina book some time ago. Something about it affecting some children's sleep. I don't think it affects everyone. But I've noticed that when DS has the readybrek his sleep is never as good as when he's had weetabix that day...could just be a massive coincidence though!

Thanks again! X

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 12:33:12 pm »
On the days when we aren't having weetbix EVERY DAY Hamish enjoys oaty fingers:

3 tablespoons of rolled oats (the non quick type)
3 tablespoons milk (so the same milk to oats.. )
Mix, and add sultanas or something if you like- i suggest making without to start...

Then microwave for... see- this is where it would be good if i could remember the time.. try 2 minutes... (i'll find out how long... but you could try 2)

When they are done and hot cut them up, i usually turn them out onto a plate to do this. then once they are cool enough they sort of hold together like fingers. They aren't OVERLY solid- but shouldn't be soggy. Hamish gobbles them right up!!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 04:23:01 am by amayzie »
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 19:17:28 pm »
Yes, 2 minutes in an 800w microwave (may need to adjust slightly for a higher/lower wattage) :)

You can increase the quantities of oats/milk when they're bigger too (I do 5tbsp of each for DS, cook for same amount of time) and he likes chocolate sprinkles on his :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline Feefeena

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 07:58:54 am »
Thanks guys-I'll try the oats once he is finished teething. At the moment he won't eat anything-not even weetabix-it's so stressful!

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 17:00:35 pm »
That really could be his teeth, we have no eating here when teething.

We have a regular breakfast, it's pretty healthy but I can imagine not all kids would like it...

Yogurt, oats, a little bit of honey and either tahini or almond paste for the iron - mix all the evening before. It's like soaked Muesli kind of thing.
You could also grate an apple to it.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline sleepdeprivedmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Love my baby!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 20:06:43 pm »
Our 13 month old loves sweet potato for breakfast...we get frozen round sweet potato patties, microwave for 45 seconds, add a dash of cinnamon and a little water so it's not so thick. He has been eating that since 11 months old.

Offline tkm

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 02:16:22 am »
Hello out there would rice cakes hurt gums as well? You can spread avocado on it - makes a mess, but lots of the good fat. What about yogurt?

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 11:43:16 am »
What about pancakes?  No need to add any sugar or syrup so they won't be too sweet:
http://mamacook.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/pancakes-and-toys-returned-to-pram.html
They also freeze well.

Also try normal ready brek on it's own, if he's not keen on sweet then that'd be fine?  Or rice krispies and milk?  Toast and butter or peanut butter?  In Germany it's more common to have bread and ham or cheese for breakfast, why not try that?
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Feefeena

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 15:16:08 pm »
Thank you everyone for such helpful suggestions. I've had some success with porridge oats and cheese and bread. I'll def try pancakes and sweet potato as well. Thank you :) xxx

Offline roimata9

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 20:38:27 pm »
We do the "porridge pancakes" in the microwave too. I usually cut them up then drizzle a bit of flax, hemp or fish oil over to give some healthy fats.
Another thing my LO loves is 1/4 flaxseeds ground in the coffee grinder, 1 egg, pinch of salt and 1/4 t baking powder. Mix really well in a microwave proof bowl then spread it out flat and cook for 1-2 minutes.
It comes out like a thick slice of bread, but is way healthier
We do sweet potato soldiers to dip in a boiled egg too.
My LO doesn't like sweet things either, but loves fruit, so sometimes I give him puffed cereal from the organic shop which is just the puffed grain/seed quinoa, buckwheat or rice nothing else added. I then mix it with some pureed fruit.