Author Topic: Blood in poop, do I do something about it?  (Read 2025 times)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Blood in poop, do I do something about it?
« on: August 17, 2012, 17:08:07 pm »
So my experience with DS2 was that we always suspected he had mild mpi, as a newborn and for several months he had very green, mucousy poops though no obvious blood, and he was a very fussy baby (had reflux as well).  It was mild though and he outgrew it probably around 7 or 8 months and I started eating regular foods again, and around a year he was able to go to cow's milk.  But during the early months he did always seem to be in a lot of discomfort which is why I eliminated dairy from my diet while BFing.

With DD I knew I'd be on the lookout for the same issues but she is now 8 weeks old and has been a very happy, content little thing.  She eats well and sleeps well.  Her poops have always looked like normal baby poops (unlike DS2's) and she never seems to be in any discomfort.  She is gassy but passes it easily and it doesn't get trapped or cause any discomfort.  I have her on probiotics which I think helps with that.

Today though she had a poop that looks very mucousy, which I really didn't think much of.  But the next poop had what looked like some obvious specks of red blood.  Now I'm not sure what to think?  Like I said she is happy and sleeps well so discomfort doesn't seem to be an issue.  Should I do something about it?  Her next checkup is in 10 days.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline essexlemon

• Showing Appreciation 10
Re: Blood in poop, do I do something about it?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 17:50:25 pm »
I'm not all that up on intolerances and things - just starting to learn about it all with our two but if there was obvious blood I'd get it checked.  Personally, I'd get along to the GP before the next check-up as, aside from anything else, you'll be worrying right the way through those ten days otherwise.
My husband is running 13.1 miles in the Great North Run in memory of my brother. Please can you help us raise funds for the Cardiomyopathy Association in his memory?
https://www.justgiving.com/RichardDahler/

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 19:07:17 pm »
Thanks.  Actually I figured I'd wait and keep an eye out, and have seen no more suspicious poops so I'm not too worried about it at the moment.  It can wait until her next appointment but I can always call and go sooner if things change.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline essexlemon

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 20:54:54 pm »
Good that it seems to have settled.

She hasn't been constipated has she? Just wondering if the blood could have been from a graze caused by hard poo seeing as it looks like a one off.
My husband is running 13.1 miles in the Great North Run in memory of my brother. Please can you help us raise funds for the Cardiomyopathy Association in his memory?
https://www.justgiving.com/RichardDahler/

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 20:59:14 pm »
I would just keep an eye out - really their guts are so very immature anyway - so a bit of mucous or even a little more sometimes would be within the scope of normal really.

Maybe an intolerance, but little point in looking further at this stage, and their guts change so fast as well that what you found out may have changed a few months down the line anyway.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 21:12:08 pm »
Nope no constipation. She seems to have a pretty good gut so far, just going to keep an eye on things. :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010