Author Topic: breastfeeding hormones  (Read 1229 times)

~Carly~

breastfeeding hormones
« on: August 18, 2012, 19:08:08 pm »
I thought hormones decreased around 3 months pp, but I feel like they haven't at all!  Every time I feed DS2, I nearly fall asleep- I have to read, have a drink, play a game on my phone, anything to stay awake.  Last night I feel asleep in the rocking chair and stayed there for 3 hours!  Scary because I could have dropped DS2  :-\  I am going to call my LC on Monday to see if there are any natural herbal/diet fixes, but I thought I would check to see if anyone else has the same problem.  I do remember having the same issue with DS1, but I just took a lot of naps and took advantage of the sleepiness.  Can't do that with 2 lol!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: breastfeeding hormones
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 22:11:54 pm »
I still feel sleepy now and my ds2 is 12mo! I didn't realise that the hormones responsible for this side effect were suppose to have changed.
As a side not I found using an overstuffed feeding pillow like the Widgey really helps with not dropping LO. ;)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 22:34:51 pm »
I never noticed a drop really either.  I always got sleepy!  I think the sleepiness did decrease about 5-6 months but I always thought that was because I was also getting proper (well not proper but slightly more!) sleep at night. 

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 02:50:21 am »
I think the sleepiness did decrease about 5-6 months but I always thought that was because I was also getting proper (well not proper but slightly more!) sleep at night. 
I agree with this.

And had to comment on this post, just so I could say I LOVE your avatar, what a gorgeous little man he is!

~Carly~

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 02:58:52 am »
And had to comment on this post, just so I could say I LOVE your avatar, what a gorgeous little man he is!
Thanks!  We are pretty smitten :)

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who is getting sleepy while nursing!  I nursed him today and had to go splash water on my face after so that I could fight the urge to take a nap!  Luckily everything else is going pretty well as far as BFing goes, so I guess I shouldn't complain!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 21:08:47 pm »
As I understand it, the BF hormones are still there, it's just that the milk production isn't driven by them anymore.

Sounds like you've just got plenty of oxytocin (the love hormone) floating around, which is what causes the drowsiness generally. :)
*** Amanda ***