Author Topic: I apparently have a climber....  (Read 2577 times)

Offline CCCmom27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
I apparently have a climber....
« on: August 23, 2012, 14:49:10 pm »
And DS1 was not a climber so I have no idea what do to!  Today I found him standing on the coffee table in the playroom trying to pull down the picture that's hanging above it.  I took him down put a toy on the table and started playing with it with him standing there.  I move away and next thing I know he's pulling out the drawers and starting to climb up again.  This has happened a good 5 times in the last hour.  Should I let him climb up there and sit or would that be sending mixed signals?!?!  He does know how to get down safely by going backwards.  I should have known this day would come when I found him standing on the top step of DS1's stool trying to pull something off the kitchen counter at 9 months old....

Offline skatty

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
Re: I apparently have a climber....
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 16:17:14 pm »
From my experience it is really hard to stop a climber, it is like their bodies just have to do it so even having set boundaries in place be prepared and make sure all shelves etc are screwed to the wall, there have been some fatal accidents with toddlers climbing shelves and have them fall on top of them  :'( My dd was always a good climber and could do so safely so I did let her climb on the table, she seemed to understand and accept that she could sit on the kitchen table but not stand. We also took anything tempting down like pictures on the wall so she would not be tempted to try and yank them down. It can be exhausting because until they get older and develop a sense of danger you have to watch them like a hawk and forsee anything they might climb every place you go! Trying to stop the climbing is relentless though so IMO it is better to make your home or at least the room you spend most time in as safe as pos and let them climb!!
Katt