Author Topic: Help getting 5.75 month old to nurse again  (Read 864 times)

Offline sblauv

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help getting 5.75 month old to nurse again
« on: August 27, 2012, 20:21:59 pm »
Hello,

I have breast feed my LO since birth (though with several issues at first).  We finally got things figured out and nursing was going wonderfully.  Then at 3 months, she developed acid reflux and started refusing to nurse.  Over the next 6 weeks or so (until about 4.5 months) we struggled to get her reflux under control and her nursing continued to decline until she would only nurse in the middle of the night and maybe first thing in the morning.

At about 5 months, we finally got her reflux under control but she will not go back to nursing.  At this point, the problem seems to be less the oral aversion and more a preference for the bottle combined with being distracted by everything.  I try to nurse her right when she wakes up from naps in her dark nursery, but she will only nurse 5-8 minutes, if at all!

I have continued to pump regularly so my supply is not an issue.  I went back to work at 4 months and so am away from her 4 days a week. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  I really want to breast feed her until she's 12 months, but having to pump even during my time with her is getting really tiresome and I'm starting to lose hope that she'll ever go back to nursing.   :(

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Help getting 5.75 month old to nurse again
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 20:32:22 pm »
You're doing so great pumping for your LO!  Well done!  This FAQ http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=89418.0 is about nursing strikes, but has some great tips about getting a LO back to the breast.
*** Amanda ***