Author Topic: started solids this week - not into it  (Read 2245 times)

Offline nona

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
« on: August 28, 2012, 15:23:09 pm »
hey i have a 6 month old & ? weeks (can't remember!!) ..

we are starting with baby oatmeal. think i might move to BLW but not sure yet.

anyway, she is not really into it. as a matter of fact, i completely forgot this morning LOL

i will try again after her nap.

we are doing baby oatmeal. she doesn't open mouth for more, etc. i decided to just give her the spoon with oatmeal on it and she will suck/chew on it but i don't think is interested in the oatmeal at all (just the bowl).

should i stop & take a break, keep going? my DS was totally into this and love eating so kinda confused with this one!!!

i was going to try pears next. i am going to puree some and try feeding that way but i also think i'm going to do BLW with the pear too to see what she does too?

thoughts?
heather

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: started solids this week - not into it
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 16:12:36 pm »
My LO had a similar reaction to purée of all kinds. I'd had a really tough time trying to BF & it had left me quite depressed so I couldn't face another feeding issue ifswim. I decided to try finger foods & we've been BLW ever since. I couldn't recommend it more highly. I hear it's even more worthwhile if you had an older LO as you can feed them the same things at the same time.

Having said all that, you know your LO best and if you do want to persevere with purée, it might just be that it's not quite time yet, or you could do a mix of purée & finger foods if you feel you want to keep on the purée route for now.

What are your feelings on BLW? I've been very lucky, my mum thought I was a little crazy at first but shr's totally converted now. You might have to face up to some negative reactions so it's good to feel very positive about it personally. I haven't had any major difficulties though once people have seen DD eat. What not have a read through the BLW thread & see if your LO might enjoy it.

Don't worry too much either way, it's still early days for solids & the milk (BF or FF) will have all the nutrients needed :-)
~ Naomi ~

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 16:51:51 pm »
It could well be the taste or texture of the oatmeal she isn't bowled over by! I would try with pears next as they are thinner, sweeter and tastier. Also go down the BLW route if she really isn't into the purees.

Offline nona

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 18:40:47 pm »
ok sounds good.

ha! i'm not too worried about what others think!! my ILS and parents won't care either way.

i am feeling lazy about solids this time around and BLW just sounds easier & less work.....

pears it is! wish my pears would ripen up for me so i can try it out. i guess i could buy a little jar in the meantime. 

heather

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 20:39:52 pm »
Apples instead?  ;)

Offline nona

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 21:29:54 pm »
Good idea..I'm staring at some bananas but I'll wait on those!
heather

Offline Solene

• Cupboard under the stairs
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 22:06:49 pm »
BLW is great. My youngest has issues with consistency, or had mostly, not so much now. But when we started him on solids at, eh, 6.5 months or so? it took some time before he actually *ate* any. He tasted, chewed, played with it, and got some into him. But I think he was like 8 months before he really started actually eating what I would call a meal of solids. He wouldn't eat oatmeal until he was about a year old.
We started with veggies, fish, and fruit/berries.
He eats most anything, and loves fish.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 02:00:07 am »
Whats BLW?
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 10:18:07 am »
BLW is baby led weaning, where you offer only chunks of food shaped to make easy finger food to begin with, rather than purée so baby learns to self feed straight off from 6 months of age. If you're interested Skadiver13, have a look here:

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=92560.0
~ Naomi ~

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 10:59:15 am »
i was told by PHN to start with stewed pear/apple.i started with pear-v messy but she is still much happier taking that than the cereal.x

Offline nona

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 17:16:39 pm »
ok i did not offer for last 2 days but this morning my pears were ripe so cut off a chunk and gave it to her. she took it willingly and gnawed on it which was great. only thing is that it broke off into the perfect choking size? i need to read more about BLW bc that makes me nervous but it was good. i did help her a bit by holding it and let her chew on it bc it is so slippery. guess i need to pop over to the other thread.

for the heck of it, i tried the oatmeal again (have some BM need to use up). she took it willingly and even started opening her mouth for the next bite! she didn't cry/push me away like last time and liked chewing on the spoon.  so that was a good experience.

i'm going to read up on BLW and go ahead and make some pear puree to try to.

if i can let go & let  her be messy id love to give her bowl and let her at it.
heather

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 17:35:06 pm »
ok i did not offer for last 2 days but this morning my pears were ripe so cut off a chunk and gave it to her. she took it willingly and gnawed on it which was great. only thing is that it broke off into the perfect choking size? i need to read more about BLW bc that makes me nervous but it was good. i did help her a bit by holding it and let her chew on it bc it is so slippery. guess i need to pop over to the other thread.

Ah! We have a new FAQ just right for you here!

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=241398.0

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 18:17:10 pm »
I know I've said it before, but I love baby-led weaning, especially with an older child.  There's just not the time to be pureeing and whatnot so being able to serve up the same meal is great.  You could try baking a pear/apple and offering chunks like that so they're not quite so crispy and banana is great if you break it lengthways (apparently!) or you could roll fingers of it in something like crushed "cheerios" so it's not so slippery to hold.

It may be that she doesn't get much in with BLW to start with, but that's ok, a lot is about exploring taste/texture and learning how to manipulate food from the front to the back of the mouth without choking/gagging.  You'll probably get a fair amount of gagging to start with, but they progress through that SO quickly it's amazing.

If you'd like to offer something on a spoon, you can always "load" a spoon and then place that on her tray to pick up and get to her mouth.  It's usually suggested you start with something a bit sticky to start with so it doesn't fall off when they inevitably turn the spoon upside down on the way to their mouth :D

Did I mention I really love BLW? ;) ;D
*** Amanda ***

Offline nona

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 18:38:51 pm »
thx - i really have not had much time to devote to this with school starting. i'm home most of the day i'm not sure where the time goes LOL

i love the concept.

i never pureed much to begin with for DS, just gave jarred baby food until i gave him table food.  very common here.

today i did give her spoon with the oatmeal that she would lick or suck off so i wasn't really force feeding her KWIM?

thx for the  quick reference to the link! will check it out ASAP

heather