Author Topic: Not interested in breakfast - *happy update pg 3*  (Read 6656 times)

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2012, 20:35:44 pm »
Just want to say you're getting great advice here!!! ITA with the idea of forgetting all about utensils...just stick to finger foods...and fun ones like watermelon chunks and apple slices, yk? If he throws, I'd put it back and say "Food stays ON the tray please" in a neutral way. Repeat as needed.  Be mindful of him feeling pressured...power struggles with food are so hard...so try to keep things light, eat your food and try not to cajole or bribe or pressure. Easier said than done, I know! 

And if he is just a light eater in the mornings...then I'd be sure to give him things that pack a lot of nutritional value...eggs, really healthy cereals, toast on whoile grain bread with lots of fiber. Dips can be fun too...he might like to dip toast into apple butter or dip a carrot into dressing.

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2012, 00:27:12 am »
Dips can be fun too...he might like to dip toast into apple butter or dip a carrot into dressing.

DD LOVES dipping...she dips her toast in her oatmeal, and pretty much anything in ranch dressing or ketchup.  She dipped cucumber sticks in ketchup today at lunch (since she was having hashbrowns the ketchup was on her plate from that), and I thought oh yuck....but I definitely didn't say yuck, I was just happy she was experimenting and eating veggies!

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
Re: Not interested in breakfast - *happy update pg 3*
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2012, 12:41:31 pm »
For the last 2 weeks DS has been HEAPS better  ;D ;D ;D

I think my sister was right, and it just seems to take until 2yo for this whole eating thing to click in with our boys  ::)

We have still been giving him as much milk, but have been giving him his yoghurt for breakfast and he'll always eat that, plus a bit of cereal or some pancake now  :D After he gets down I allow him 15 mins of Cbeebies on TV with a biscuit to eat while he watches (not ideal I know but it gets a few extra calories in).

He's also been doing much better at lunch and tea, and even having the occsional snack between meals as well  :o Lunch today was chicken pieces, baby rice crackers with spread, and halved grapes, so all finger food, and he ate all but 1/2 a cracker, then had a biscuit for afters  :D

Had his 2 year check today, and was really happy to find him weighing in at 12.3Kg (on the 50th) and height at 88cm (just above the 50th!), so glad he decided to catch up just before this check  :D

I have decided to stop worrying about his eating, as it doesn't seem to be affecting his growth or development at all  8)

Thank you all for your support and ideas - BWs rock!  :-* :-* :-*

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2012, 13:01:08 pm »
Great update Hedgehog :)

DDs doc always tells me that toddler eating habits are like a roller coaster and not to worry too much, which is easier said than done!

I also let DD have a snack while watching a tv show, because if she goes to the cupboard and asks for a snack right before her favorite show comes on I'm not going to say no :)

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2012, 19:58:18 pm »
YAY HH!  Great to hear he's eating more finger food now.

He weighs more than Oliver now!!!!!  We're still at 26lb 8!