Author Topic: Having to feed 2 year old - she won't eat by herself.....  (Read 11415 times)

Offline swmw

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Having to feed 2 year old - she won't eat by herself.....
« on: September 04, 2012, 20:28:01 pm »
I'm going to try and keep this brief but I'd appreciate some advice or words of encouragement! My lo is 2yrs 4 mths and always been a shocking eater. She has never seemed interested in food right from weaning and we have had to use toys and distractions in order to get her to eat, and we have been feeding her! Until last week she was either watching TV or playing on the iPad (!) whilst I fed her. Tbh it's something I just lived with because at least this way she ate.....She is a fussy eater but by feeding her she wasn't as aware of what she was eating and I managed to feed her hidden veg. And foods she wouldn't touch by herself.
A couple of months ago we tried not feeding her. Took a few days but she started eating but only certain meals (fish fingers, plain rice, pasta with cream cheese, sausages, chicken curry, sandwiches & egg) but she ate so slowly I gave up and ended up feeding her and she got a more balanced diet.

Now things have to change, I have a 4wk old daughter who always wants breast feeding at dinner time and I can't physically feed dd1 - and lets face it she needs to eat by herself! So I've been reading lots of advice on here And I'm trying to make the following changes:
1 - no feeding her
2 - no distractions
3 - Family dinners where we all eat together and eat the same thing
4 - Offer a small selection of foods with foods I know she will eat
5- Try not to comment about what's she is eating/not eating, say nothing and leave her to it.

First night I offered chicken curry - but I think I made the mistake of mixing the chicken and rice together. Anyway, she asked for peppa pig on the tv, then asked for her drawing book, then said feed me. I explained she is a big girl now and can eat by herself and mummy will not feed her and no more games during food time. She didn't even touch her dinner. I made no comment and took her food away and she ate nothing that night.
Next night pasta & meatballs - served up separately with bread & butter, she eventually ate some of the plain pasta herself using her fingers (even though she obviously can use a spoon/fork) and the bread. Not much, but it's a step in the right direction.

So tonight, chicken stir-fry , noodles, sauce, pitta bread. She saw the noodles and said 'I love noodles' and started picking at it straight away. She ate 3 pieces of chicken, didn't touch any veg or sauce, had a bit of pitta and kept looking at the noodles saying yummy yummy - but she would only put 1 piece in at a time. She was eating so slowly it was driving me crazy. She just kept talking to us, talking about her day - asking for toys, asking if she could sit in our knees. And slowly picking at the noodles a piece at a time. We did keep asking her to hurry up and eat (naughty I know) but 1 hour later(!) I lost my patience and said that dinner time was over. She got upset saying she was eating noodles and she wanted pudding. But we said no as she had been eating too slowly (4 noodle strands in 1 hour), I know I shouldn't have lost my patience but I've been up since 3am with dd2 and just had enough.

So how long should I give her to eat her food? How long do you leave your fussy lo's to it before dinner time is over?

If we sit down and she seems totally disinterested in foods I know she eats I shouldn't persuade her to eat - correct???

My OH is worried that all she will eat is plain rice pasta or potatoes and no veg etc as I'm serving things separately but I understand that this is her choice and I need to let this take it's course.

Btw - she has no snacks, just breakfast, lunch and dinner. Today she had eaten a good breakfast and a small sandwhich for lunch so couldn't have been full at dinner time.

She's also going through the 1-0 nap and overtired with night wakings so she's grumpy!!!

Any advice appreciated?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 20:29:39 pm by swmw »

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Having to feed 2 year old - she won't eat by herself.....
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 21:56:00 pm »
It must be hard to not get frustrated when you know she is physically capable of eating herself. I do think it is important to appreciate that she is not at fault for getting into bad habits like watching TV or playing or being fed. She is still so young and needs her mum to look after her. I really over estimated how much my 2yo should be doing for himself when I had my ds2 and I see that now.
I would let her take as long as she wants at dinner if she is still eating. Even if you have to let her carry on when the rest of you do  other things like clearing up.
The arrival of the new baby will be a very hard time for your DD and is not really an ideal time to change things so drastically on her. I think any changes you do make need tobe with a lot of patience and compromise. I hope others pop on with more practical solutions.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline j.and.e

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 22:46:10 pm »
Looks like u are making gd progress! My ds does not do well with veg at dinner but will snack on raw veg and fruit, so i'm happy. I think with toddlers its best to look over a wk as is normal to eat loads one day and nrly nothing the nxt xx

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 23:14:13 pm »
I imagine this is a very frustrating thing to be dealing with especially when you have a new born to care for and feel that your time, attention and energies are needed everywhere at once.
First off I need to say I don't have BTDT experience so any thoughts or suggestions are merely that: thoughts and suggestions.

I agree with all Ali has said.  Your 2 year old didn't build these bad habits on her own, and neither can she (or should she) break them on her own.

Your new 'rules' for yourself look reasonable on the whole although #5 has a get out clause for you in that it says 'try not to comment' rather than 'don't comment'.  You might be leaving a door open there for your frustrations to be aired and in asking her to hurry up you have already commented on what or how she is eating.

TBH it sounds to me like she really wants your attention and she knows (as many toddlers discover) that food is a pretty sure way to get a parents attention.  The idea that you all sat together and she chit chatted away about her day sounds idyllic, though I'm sure it didn't seem that way to you and your DH who were held hostage whilst she ate one slow noodle after another.

I would do a couple of things:
1. make pre-dinner mummy time with her (or daddy time, or take turns).  Make a point of spending 10 minutes really focusing on her.  Ask about her day, let her chat, ask her what she wants to do with you in those 10 minutes.  Give her that ten minutes.
2. work out how long on average you and your DH spend eating dinner (lets say 20 mins)  Add 10 minutes onto that time and explain to her that family dinner is now 30 mins.  After this time she may continue to eat her dinner for as long as she likes (right up to bath time) but mummy and daddy will need to go do other things.
3. Give desert regardless of whether she ate or not (choose a healthy desert, natural yogurt and fruit, a sugar free sweet potato mini muffin...).  I never give desert as a reward for eating.  DS gets fruit after every meal whether or not he ate anything.  To me I have already decided it is part of his balanced diet so he can have it.
4. After dinner (when everyone has finished eating and the table cleared etc) give her another 10 minutes of undivided attention regardless of what or how she ate.  This attention is not a reward for eating it is attention because she is yearning for it and as your DD needs it.  She learns that she gets this attention and has less reliance on seeking attention over food issues, by refusing to eat or keeping you hostage at the table eating 4 noodles per hour to get you to listen to her.  Really give her the 10 minutes.  You will enjoy and cherish the time with her.
4.  I'm not sure why she doesn't have snacks.  I would introduce snacks.  A little bowl of frozen peas is like a bowl of sweets to many toddlers.  There are many other healthy snacks which are appetizing and would offer you many more opportunities to balance out her diet.

I believe the important aspect about someone who is attention seeking is that they are communicating they need some attention (if some one was thirsty you'd give them a drink, when someone is attention seeking the answer is give attention).  I believe if you attend to that then there will be less need for her to use food to seek attention, getting you to feed her and so on.  She will have more fun playing a game with you, having cuddles and a book read, drawing pictures together or whatever her favourite thing is.

It might also help to give her some option over dinner (or snack) by giving two options (both of which are fine with you), like peas or sweetcorn.  Even getting her to help with the food prep and cooking would be giving her attention and involving her in the whole food process.  It could raise her enthusiasm for food.

Hope this might help a little and also hope others with BTDT experience are able to help you too.
x

Offline swmw

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 01:51:16 am »
Thank you for your replies. I'm typing whilst doing a night feed so apologies for typing mistakes!!
I fully appreciate this this is MY fault not hers, and that her entire world has been changed with the arrival of dd2. I know this is a silly time to try and change things but I quickly realised I just could not go on as we were.
I do make sure that I have lots of 1 on 1 time with dd1. Before dinner we had been in the garden playing together (dd2 was asleep) so we had had a lovely afternoon together. I guess she was chatting about her day telling daddy what she had done!
During dinner we did say if she wanted to play outside with daddy she had to eat quickly otherwise there was no time to play, we sat with her easily for 40 mins then starred to clear away and wash up. We waited as long as possible and then had to take her straight upstairs for bath and bed as it was so late. She was upset she couldn't play outside but did seem to understanding saying 'I was too slow eating food now it's time for splash splash'
We had 'prepared' dinner together and initially she was very excited and watched and helped but then she got bored - which is fine, and played in the kitchen whilst I cooked. for lunch we had made sandwhiches together which she enjoyed.

Previously I would not have even attempted to give dd1 a stir-fry dinner. I would have finely chopped her veg and added chicken and made a pasta sauce for her and given her that with noodles. Last night it was obviously big strips of veg which I never expected her to eat at all. Should I continue to offer her her food as we eat it as a family or should I modify her portions so she is more likely to eat it?
I guess we don't do snacks as her appetite is so small I don't want to fill her up. I did try some snacks the day before but she said she didn't want anything. I will kelp trying with the snacks and I guess that in itself will take a while to change and develop the new habit.
I have no expectations of her eating veg at this stage. My aim is simply for her to eat something ( which I know will be carbohydrates) herself. She eats raw veg at nursery but has never touched it at home.
The main problem yesterday was the speed but I guess we will both have to learn how to deal with that!....

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 08:08:20 am »
I know this is a silly time to try and change things but I quickly realised I just could not go on as we were.
When mine was 4 weeks old I barely had time to pee never mind entertain a toddler, it's totally understandable that you are unable to continue to feed her even if this isn't the perfect time for big changes to her routine and your expectations of her.
It's pretty amazing you are able to juggle running the house, caring for a NB and playing in the garden with your toddler too.

I guess she was chatting about her day telling daddy what she had done!
This looks like a key issue regarding the attention then.  You know she had had one on one with with you and identify here that she needed to fill her daddy cup.  Sure it would be lovely if she ate quickly and was then able to go and play with daddy afterwards but perhaps in her 2 yr old head she isn't able to work all that out, even when you tell her?  I don't know your situation, if daddy has just come home from work maybe she needs time with him immediately?  Is there a way you can factor in a 10 min pre-dinner time for one on one with daddy to at least partially sate her need to catch up and re-connect with him before dinner begins?
My thinking is that despite explaining to her that she missed her play time with daddy because she took so long to eat and there was simply no time left in the day, it could look/feel like punishment related to eating.

It looks like you are doing lots of positive things to include her in food prep and having family meals.  I would continue to give her family meals, like yours, but also ensuring that each meal contains at least something that you know she has already eaten and likes.  Is it possible to give her a small portion (a teaspoon or two) of pasta sauce (or ketchup) on her plate as a dip rather than making an entirely different meal for her?  it's a compromise to give her something she knows and likes whilst also offering the same meal as the family.  I would serve her the large pieces but chop a couple up once you have all sat down together, then see if she will take the smaller pieces (on her own).  Offer to cut up more if she likes it that way.
What do you think?
xx

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 09:02:21 am »
I think Creations has made some great suggestions.
I'm sure she will get quicker at eating herself as she gets more used to it.
Personally if it means she will eat it then I would give her veg in a way she will be more likely to try it. Some things you may be able to adapt for the while family so you are still eating the same thing. I definitely still cut up veg for my 2.5yo. Blitzing it in the blender and serving it mixed in to thinks like curry, bolognaise, shepherd's pie and pasta sauces etc  are easy ways to hide it too. You could carry on serving her a couple pieces big like you would have them and she may try them one day.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline swmw

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 17:31:09 pm »
Thanks Ali & Creations.
I don't know if I can stick this out.......
Breakfast - now she normally eats this herself and sometimes I used to feed her at the end. It's always pretty rushed as we ave to do nursery drop off etc. one change since dd2 has been born is that I no longer do nursery drop off but my dh does instead. Anyway I gave her her favourite rice crispies - she was so excited. Helped me add milk and add cereal. She had 3 spoons and then had a melt down as she didn't want the milk in it anymore !!!! God know what that was about. I calmed her down, she asked to sit on my knee and eat, I said no but I'd hold her hand. She was happy with that but again ate sooooo slowly - 3 crispies at a time. I did end up loading some larger spoons just to get it in her quicker! Dh ended up leaving the house 15 mins late for work as she was so slow. That can't continue......
Dinner - jacket potatoes, cheese, beans. All of which I know she likes. Also put some tuna out. Again very excited to help me prep and cut the potato open, she ate the cream cheese straight away and picked at the grated cheese. And then stopped. DH and I had both eaten our dinner and she hadn't started on the potato. I ended up feeding her 1 spoon so she could realise she liked it.... Nothing. We waited then dd2 started crying and needed feeding. Whilst I bf dd2, dd1 asked to sit on daddy's knee to eat. We initially said no but then I wondered if it was because I was feeding dd2 on my knee.... So she sat on daddy knee and then started eating her food. Not a lot but a bit. Enough for me to be happy - but again it was very very very slowly!
I realise now she has been asking to sit on our knees since we stopped feeding her but I've refused. Now I'm not too sure how to handle it. Is it because I'm bf'ing dd2 on my knee or is it another way of her trying to get attention?
She's currently having a quick play outside as she ate her food herself (we will just do later bed time!) I see what you mean creations - I didn't want it to look like punishment for not eating.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 20:47:17 pm »
This must be so difficult for all of you.

Does the nursery do a mid morning snack?  I'm just wondering if she'd be able to manage through to snack time on the small amount she manages to feed herself, I know you don't want to pack her off to nursery hungry and then for her to have to wait until lunch time.
The other thing I'm thinking is possibly to offer foods that can be eaten on the move, in the car on the way to nursery?  Not ideal but I'm just thinking what I would do in the same situation.
Things like toast, muffin, flapjacks/oaty bars, pancakes are good for on the move and are also the sort of thing many people have for breakfast, what I mean is, it can be started at home and when it's time to leave you pop it in a baggy for her to carry to the car.  Who knows she might even eat more if she wasn't being watched? Sounds a bit crazy but sometimes my DS likes to try new things when I am out of the room.  He asks for dip or says he's finished and wants his fruit (I don't take either to the table until asked for) so I go to get it and whilst I'm gone he will try the new item on his plate!  He also likes to practice new skills in private - but I have spied on him and seen it happen - maybe your DD is unsure about her self feeding skill and feeling self conscious about it?  I'm not suggesting leaving her alone to eat but maybe keep it in mind and perhaps give the occasional opportunity where she knows she isn't being watched?

I realise now she has been asking to sit on our knees since we stopped feeding her but I've refused. Now I'm not too sure how to handle it. Is it because I'm bf'ing dd2 on my knee or is it another way of her trying to get attention?
I think it's probably both.  TBH I feel really sorry for her.  A rival has turned up on the scene and it is understandable for any child to feel the pinch of jealousy as their parents affections and time are suddenly shared with a sibling.  If it wasn't the food issue there would likely be something else, another way for DD1 to show that she's feels side-lined (that doesn't mean she IS side-lined but it is how she feels that matters, I think most older siblings do feel a bit side-lined and need extra reassurance that their position in the family is safe).  Unfortunately you have changed the feeding rules on her just as DD2 has arrived.  I totally see it from your point of view that you can't be feeding them both, from her point of view DD2 has taken up pole position.
Feeding another person is an intimate act.  Mothers (and fathers) feed their babies, lovers feed one another, the infirm hope that someone cares enough to feed them.  It is the provision of a primary human need and most often comes with a big helping of love and compassion. From DD1s point of view she's just lost that and someone else has taken residence at the 'feeding hole' whilst she is, in effect, expected to fend for herself.  It isn't going to be in her mind that you are preparing these meals for her, or that you care so deeply about her health and nutrition.
Personally I'd let her sit on my knee (if/when it is possible, when you are not feeding DD2 or yourself).  Yes it could be a hard habit to break and without some careful handling it could end up being another 6 months until you could show her that DD2 is now sitting in her own chair and eating meals with the family.  But I'd do it.  For me reassuring her that she is loved and cherished and helping her through this period of adjustment is more important than a possible 'bad' habit.  I'd set some ground rules and gently tell her these eg wait until she asks to sit on your/daddy's knee, then say something like 'ok then.  Dinner time is over in ten minutes and I'll have to clear up but you can sit on my knee until then.'  When the time is up say 'OK honey I have to clear up now.  Pop back onto your own chair so you can finish eating.  There's x amount of time left until bath' (this reminds her she can't stay up all night eating).  Then maybe 5 or 10 mins before bath time (or whatever marks the beginning of bed time routine) if she is still eating you could say 'Hey honey.  It's 10 minutes until bath.  you can carry on eating if you're still hungry or maybe you'd like to go play with daddy for ten minutes?'
If you're consistent with the times and reminders she should pick up on the routine fairly quickly and might even eat a bit faster to fit that play time in.

Setting up a little table with a tea set, plates, napkins and a couple of her dolls/teddies could help her play through her difficult feelings surrounding self feeding.  You could be one of the guests for dinner at her table with pretend food and drink.  See how she is with you and the dolls, she might role play as the mummy telling the dolls they can feed themselves, or she might sit a doll on her own knee to feed it, she might even ask you to sit a doll on your knee to feed.  It could give some insight as to how she is feeling, more importantly it could help her work through her own feelings surrounding self feeding.
Just a thought.

xx

Offline swmw

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 18:46:14 pm »
Thanks again creations. I love he idea of playing with her dolls at the table. Will definately try that! :-) x

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 20:48:11 pm »
I'd be really interested to hear how the tea party play goes.  It's the sort of thing that is covered in 'Playful Parenting', that LOs work out their feelings and challenges through play (where as adults tend to work them out through talk).  I should also add that (as I understand the theory of it) your LO should be allowed to take the lead, and do the feeding, or not, at she sees fit.  ie don't try to persuade her the dolls can feed themselves or sit on their own chair.  It's her play and up to her what happens iyswim...and regardless of how she runs it, the process 'should' help her come to terms with being asked to self feed.  The book says that LOs can keep playing the same thing out over and over whilst they work through their feelings so don't be surprised if it suddenly becomes her fav game.
I do hope it helps x

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 14:04:40 pm »
Hi
Just wondering how the last couple of weeks have gone?
xx