Author Topic: Rolling!  (Read 692 times)

~Carly~

Rolling!
« on: September 11, 2012, 11:43:43 am »
I know DS1 must have gone through this, but I just don't remember!  Warning:  This is going to be a ramble, I haven't slept and can barely make sense of anything. 

DS2 is 6 mo.  He is over 22 lbs.  Breast fed with 2-3 oz of solids at dinner.  He rolls well from back to front, but not so much from front to back.  3 days ago, he started getting up on his knees and rocking.

Here is the problem:  last night (and for the past 3 nights), he has been having excessive NWs because of rolling and getting up on his knees.  Last night he had 8 NW in a 12 hr stretch.  When I go in, he is on his hands and knees, and seems stuck!  I turn him over, but he just rolls right back to his belly.  I have tried leaving him on his belly for a couple minutes, but he just gets hysterical.  Has always been a back sleeper.  so I have been APOP- nursing him for a few minutes to relax him and putting him back to bed (part of this is that I am sick, so I have wanted to get back to bed).  What should I be doing here?  Last night I tried at his first NW to just turn him over and walk out... but that lasted 1 h 15 min before I broke down and nursed.  I am shattered and have no idea how to handle this one.   :P

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Rolling!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 14:25:08 pm »
Is he normally an independent sleeper?  If he is, I'd do what you need to do to get him through the next few days and then hopefully the novelty of rolling will have worn off.........or he'll have learned to sleep on his tummy!  That's what my DD did - it took about a week of the flipping her back over before she just worked out how to settle that way up instead :)  And if you short-term create a habit, if he's been an independent sleeper before, it shouldn't take long to get back on track x

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Rolling!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 22:24:24 pm »
Plus lots of A time designated as skill development, tummy and rocking etc.  It will help him master the skill more rapidly which should help resolve the NW.  If possible reduce time in high chair, car seat and pram etc down to a minimum and give lots of floor time for practice.