Author Topic: 6 month old night wakings - HELP  (Read 884 times)

Offline GinaMG

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 11, 2012, 17:37:50 pm »
Hello All,

I am new to this forum.  I am a first time mother of a 6 month old girl and was blessed to have her sleep from 7pm-7am from 4.5-6.5 months.  She is formula fed and is on a 4 hour schedule.  We've started solids and I give her as much as she will take ( I don't stuff her as she has reflux).  Generally she is drinking 20-24 oz per day and eating 10-12 tbsp of food.  Last week she suddenly started night waking (the past 6 of 7 nights).  Initially it's playing in her crib but then she will stay awake until we intervene.  I figured she may be having a growth spurt so I fed her and she drinks 4-6oz at night and it hasn't affected her daytime feeding.  We also got 2 teeth this week and she's trying to transition from 3 to 2 naps.  She doesn't have a pacifier and has been able to self soothe.  She goes into her crib awake and puts herself to sleep.

I'm wondering should I just leave her and let her play and only go in if she cries? I'm worried about the lost night time sleep - she's stayed awake upwards of 2 hours!  Should I continue to feed her?

Here's our schedule

7am - wake/sponge bath
715 - formula
745 - solids (cereal)
9/915 - nap (can be 45mins - 2hrs)
11am - solids/formula (cereal/veggie)
1ish second nap (again 1.5-2hrs)
if she wakes before or at 2pm I make her take a catnap about 2.5hrs after waking if she sleeps till 3pm she will NOT nap! bed at 630pm
if she does catnap we do bath and bedtime at 7pm
6-7pm (depending on sleep) formula

Any advice is greatly appreciated!! We need to sleep again!

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 6 month old night wakings - HELP
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 04:17:02 am »
I would push her first A time - it needs to be up near 3hr to get her onto 2 naps, really, and that should discourage the early morning cot party too. That should get that first nap to be a more consistent length as well. Don't push it all at once though - that will result in some serious OT at nap time, just 10-15mins then hold for a couple of days, then increase again.

Just checking - has she had the reflux meds dosage reviewed recently wrt weight? She may be not in pain, but just in enough discomfort to not be able to get back to sleep, but my bet would be needing to push that A time from what you've said.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: 6 month old night wakings - HELP
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 17:35:58 pm »
Just checking - has she had the reflux meds dosage reviewed recently wrt weight? She may be not in pain, but just in enough discomfort to not be able to get back to sleep, but my bet would be needing to push that A time from what you've said.
^^^Totally this.

Teething can cause reflux flares too.