Author Topic: How much dairy?  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Aishi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 105
« on: September 11, 2012, 18:02:23 pm »
Just want to check that it's ok to give lo (8 months almost) cheese and yoghurt every day sometimes twice a day?  ???

Thanks!
aishi :)

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: How much dairy?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 18:15:49 pm »
I'd do more yogurt than cheese - the bacteria partially digest the proteins and sugars to make it easier to handle - but it should be OK.

Any particular reason so much dairy?

Offline Aishi

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 18:20:58 pm »
Thanks for replying so quick deb! Just that she loves it so much! She's not too keen on milk only drinks 24oz so thought I should bulk up with those...

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 19:09:15 pm »
i had a very similar wondering!!!!

can i jump in here & ask the difference between fromage frais & yoghurt?i've been giving DD 1oz yoghurt (which she loves!) every day but have stocked up on handy little pots of fromage frais (v handy for out & about coz i can only get natural yoghurt in massive tubs!!!)....can/should i give both?or just one? (sorry once again aishi for jumping in!!!)

Offline Aishi

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 19:18:43 pm »
Lol no worries! I'll wait on that answer too :) x

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 19:30:26 pm »
Not sure on that - we don't get the fromage frais here in the States, and what passes for yogurt here in the stores is yucky. I make it by the gallon and parcel it out into reusable plastic tubs for the kids' lunches. It used to drive me crazy to do it that way, but homemade is so much tastier and now it's just second nature. And it's so much less expensive by the big containers, and less waste that way too.

Oh, hey, found this: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What%27s_the_difference_between_fromage_frais_and_yogurt

Offline *happy*

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 19:36:12 pm »
aw deb,thanks so much!
it would never have occurred to me to make my own yoghurt!!!!fair play to you!!!
(it's a special baby no sugar fromage frais that i got...but cant find any decent baby yoghurt-any that i've found are full of sugar)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 21:51:00 pm »
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=67569.0

At 8 months 24oz of milk per day is plenty (20 oz inclusive of solids dairy is guidance).
One thing to keep in mind is that dairy solids don't have the added vitamins that formula has (breast fed babies are advised to have vitamin drops from 6 months in the UK), this would mean that if the formula intake dropped considerably to be replaced with dairy solids LO wouldn't get those vitamins.
Another thing would be that if LO is mainly getting milk plus diary solids she might be too full to explore a wider range of solids which could hinder vitamin intake (and a development of tastes for wide variety of foods) but if you're happy with the rest of her solids then I don't think there is any problem at all.
If you saw a persistent reluctance to try other foods I'd look at reducing either milk or the cheese/yogurt.

Happy, I found it impossible to get sugar free small pots of yogurt, a small washable jar or plastic pot to decant the large tub stuff into to take out and about might be useful.  Turned out DS can't take yogurt, it flares his reflux, so it was a short lived problem for me.

Offline Aishi

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 00:13:51 am »
Thanks deb for that info-it's very useful!

Thanks creations- ill keep that in mind. So far shes loving everything she tries. St least i can cut down on dairy as she's getting enough milk...

Offline creations

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 07:24:10 am »
So far shes loving everything she tries
That's great news :)

A little OT but - a small piece of cheese after a meal (esp fruit) is good for their teeth, it neutralizes the fruit sugar so can help prevent tooth decay.

Offline *happy*

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 08:11:54 am »
great to know!!!how do you give the cheese?grated?

Offline creations

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 09:15:29 am »
Grated is good for pincer grip practice and some people feel safer as it might be less of a choke hazard (issue with anything that is gunky that if LO takes a lot of it at once it can stick to the roof/back of the mouth and be a choke hazard that way).  finger size strips/batons are easier to pick up and can be licked, sucked chewed, LO might bite a piece off which might worry you on the choking front although tbh I don't consider cheese a big risk whichever way you offer it.
Grilled on an open pitta then close the pitta bread before the cheese cools - slice into fingers.  This is a less messy way to have a cheese sandwich to take out and about so you know it is all stuck together and no grated cheese falling everywhere and getting mushed into someone's carpet.

Offline *happy*

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 10:04:43 am »
excellent!!!!thanks a mill!!!!xxx