Author Topic: refusing new foods  (Read 10124 times)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: refusing new foods
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2012, 20:40:27 pm »
From a bottle feeding point of view do you think the volume of milk he has is having an impact on his interest in food?

When babies start solids they are usually taking around 30oz a day and then that amount decreases - he is taking a lot more than that on some days. I know he's not eating much because of the medical stuff but is the formula cutting his appetite so he's not interested in trying the new stuff you are trying?

I would certainly wean the nightfeed to be honest - lotsof babies drop the nightfeeds way before they are on solids and maybe that will help him to be hungry enough to try food in the mornings?

I would get some advice from your dietician though, given he has specific food issues.

Laura

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2012, 23:58:37 pm »
Thanks Laura.

He's always had (for as long as I can remember) quantities similar to this and when he was younger it did not impact his appetite for solids. That being said though, I think it doesn't mean that it's not impacting it now.  I agree that if he feels full and satisfied from his formula, and that he has a bad association with solids, he's not going to be interested vs if he's not feeling that full.

I know I should wean the NF... I've been chickening out on it  :-[ for a while now because I felt that the older he grew, the hungrier he'd be without solids, kwim? My DD STTN 7-7 from 6 weeks on while being BF. But since he as 4 months this little guy did not and as he grew, I figured it was 'normal' that he'd be hungry at night to make up for not having solids. But maybe I need to see it the other way aorund now.

Anyhow now that I know the scope is scheduled in 2 weeks, I won't undergo these drastic changes since it will be a tough week, but right after I think I will do that and hopefully it'll help with his solids intake.

Thanks for the advice! :)
Elise

Offline ENMS

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2012, 23:46:11 pm »
So here I am trying new foods again. A little recap of the last 2 weeks or so... DS ended up reacting to the pears, with horrible diarrhea that burned him bum, it was bleeding every time he would poop.  This seems to suggest that the GI is right in her theory that he has an enzyme deficiency (enzymes required to digest sugar and starch). So we stopped all foods again and now this week he had his scopes. They found nothing obvious but the biopsy results should tell us more. We should have them in 2 weeks. In the meantime I have met with the hospital nutritionnist and have a new food plan for DS.

I've been sitting him down in his high chair for most meals, but not offering any foods. Tonight I put in his tray some cooked asparagus, cut up in little chunks, and some pieces of the chicken that I was eating. To my amazement, he started eating them. He seems to have liked the chicken a lot, and even the asparagus! ;D It's the first time in a long, long while he's eaten willingly.  The GI thinks that if we give him foods he's going to tolerate he will accept them better.

So I'll keep offering those 2 foods for 2-3 days and then add more variety. I'm going to try to not make long trials, but still try to wait 2 days before introducing a new food.

Also today I spoke on the phone with an occupational therapist that is specialized in feeding difficulties for LO's. She told me she's putting us as a priority and we will get a call from her secretary shortly to give us an appointment.

So all in all I think we're having some progress! FX it continues! :D
Elise

Offline jennandsophie

• Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2012, 01:14:30 am »
 :) for progress!
Jennifer - mom to Sophie and Jonas

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2012, 16:32:06 pm »
My fingers are crossed too x

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2012, 13:29:57 pm »
Wow!  I'm so pleased ot hear the success with the asparagus and chicken!  Hurrah!

He was taking pears for quite a long time I think before this reaction?  I'm just wondering if it wasn't pears in themselves but that it was really his only solid food.  I've always thought food trials are very tricky because the diet is limited over the time period.  I mean if I ate the same foods for several days running I think I'd end up being poorly, yk?  Just from the lack of balance.

I'm so glad to hear you've had some progress and the appointments and results coming up too.  At least you're not on your own with this and are getting some attention and help.  xx

Offline ENMS

« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2012, 13:37:50 pm »
I've always thought food trials are very tricky because the diet is limited over the time period.

I totally agree it could be that. But if the doctor is right and he has CSID, pears is actually a food that is permitted in moderate quantities, whereas all the other foods he's had before are forbidden. So it could also be why he was able to tolerate the pears longer than the other foods. Either way I'm not doing trials anymore - if what he has is not allergy-related (and I'm pretty sure it's not otherwise why would he have tolerated pears for that long), there's no use and I agree totally that he may as well get fed up of eating the same food over and over again!  I added green beans yesterday and today I tried frozen blueberries at breakfast.

For some reason he seems very open to eat now so long as he's eating by himself. He had 2 blueberries this morning, I tried them over and over again before and he never touched them. Knock on wood that it continues. :)
Elise