Author Topic: constant feeding  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Graces Mummy2468

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 23, 2012, 20:10:02 pm »
hi all
My baby is 5 weeks old and when she began to have issues with not getting wind up, then came big sicks where she would vomit the entire feed. Only ever after 7pm. Made sure that she stayed upright for 30mins after feeding-this helped a little.
We are breast feeding exclusively. We feed on demand. She has begun over the last few days to feed constantly-feeds on one breast then comes off- then she either wants to go back on - then she sucks for a minute then vomits entire feed. Or if she doesn't vomit after the half hour of holding her upright she wants to feed again.
Basically my baby doesn't stop crying for something unless she is asleep or feeding or waiting in the half hour.
Any ideas? I don't feel like its just standard cluster feeding
Thanks

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: constant feeding
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 03:39:10 am »
Welcome!
Are you saying that this is a problem that you're seeing only after 7 PM?  Does it go on for a while?  Are you able to burp her well after she feeds?  Does she vomit up her feeds at other times of the day?

I'm sorry for the questions, just trying to get a good idea of what is going on. 

Offline Graces Mummy2468

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 11:27:17 am »
The vomiting only ever happens any time from 7pm onwards - this can happen everyday or every other day. Only seems to do one full feed vomit a day. Doesn't vomit any other feed. When she does vomit she vomits within minutes of coming off the breast. One big vomit and that's it. She never appears distressed by it
The feeding is throughout the entire day. The only time it's a bit less is during the night- waking every two hours instead.
There has never been much of a pattern to her feeding as its on demad but this is constant and for the past four or so says she just never seems satisfied and wants to drink constantly with half hour breaks.
She's used to have wind issues-and really struggle to get wind up but since this feeding change she burps better.
Thanks in advance

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 13:57:11 pm »
Thanks for the answers! 
My thought is that the vomiting is just her overfeeding.  I'm sure in the evenings she wants to comfort nurse some, so if she's nursing that much and there's just not room for all that milk in her tummy, it comes right back up! 

Have you had a look at this (knowing your baby is not quite a newborn, but some helpful information in there):
Breastfeeding and EASY in the first few weeks
Feeding on demand is great for getting supply established and is definitely the way to go -- I'm wondering though if you're confusing some of her hungry signals for tired ones?  It all looks kind of the same in the early days (well, to me at least, I know there are people who can tell them all apart!) and sometimes when they're fussing they really just want to sleep and not necessarily to eat (though with a BF baby, they're happy enough to fall asleep on the breast too). 
Does she have normal (for a BF baby) looking poos? 

Offline Graces Mummy2468

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 20:24:07 pm »
Yes, I thought that about the vomiting - the let down on my right breast is very fast so I began to express a bit first to help but the sound Of her sucking still sounds diff to when she sucks on the left breast.
Poos are normally the orange colour they say it should be, but about once a day it's the greeny colour.
Since what I thought was the feeding frenzy began she hasn't really slept much.
I've also noticed that I can't Seem to put her down into her Moses basket to sleep - I think she has become so accustomed to being held she's struggling to settle but I guess that's a diff topic. I'm feeling like im not doing a good job and that I am just not understanding my baby :(

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 14:54:09 pm »
Just wondering about the different sounds on each breast - did you have an assisted birth at all (forceps, ventouse)?
*** Amanda ***

Offline Graces Mummy2468

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 16:05:51 pm »
Had both. Ventouse didn't work so finished with forceps. Lots more gulping and air noises in her body when she's on the right xxx

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 17:32:16 pm »
Sometimes with an assisted delivery the LO can end up with a preference for one side over the other due to a discomfort as a result of the assistance (sorry, didn't phrase that well, but hope you get the drift).  Sometimes it's an injury (a small number of forceps deliveries get broken collar bones), but usually it's a tightness, either from the intervention itself or from how they'd got lodged in the birth canal.

It might not be up your street (and wasn't mine until my friend raved about it), but it might be worth looking into some cranial osteopathy from someone experienced with dealing with infants.  I've no real idea how it works, but they somehow manage to release some of these pressures from the neck, skull, etc and people often see great results with feeding and wind related issues.
*** Amanda ***