Author Topic: how does your allergic child sleep?  (Read 2584 times)

Offline chicagomom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: September 24, 2012, 10:43:22 am »
we have been struggling w/DS's sleep since he got sick and was (unofficially) diagnosed by his GI doc as having a dairy allergy.  he is totally off dairy but he is not getting enough sleep and i was just wondering if other allergic kids have the same problem...

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Re: how does your allergic child sleep?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 11:21:22 am »
It can take up to 2 weeks for the proteins to completely leave his system once you've eliminated dairy - how long has he been off of it? And is he still sick?

Dylan's sleep was absolute garbage while we were getting very thing sorted. If you look back to my very first post on the forum it was asking about pu/pd because he was waking every 45m-1h all night long :( It was horrible. His sleep got a bit better when we discovered his dairy allergy and I eliminated (ebf) but he still woke frequently. In retrospect, that was due to the fact that he had other allergies and I was still eating those :-\ his sleep did settle around 16mo when we did the testing, I was breastfeeding much less, and we eliminated everything. But even then it took a few weeks for the proteins to get out of his system and for us to wean the props that we had been using (he wasn't waking from discomfort anymore, but waking from habit to eat a cuddle, for example).
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline chicagomom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 11:32:10 am »
It can take up to 2 weeks for the proteins to completely leave his system once you've eliminated dairy - how long has he been off of it? And is he still sick?

it has been almost 4 months - although about 3 weeks ago he accidentally had some things baked with dairy so we had another bout of awful fussiness and diarrhea. 

Offline abbysmomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 11:51:06 am »
I don't know if it was other undiagnosed allergies with my ds1, or if it was some other issue, but his sleep was total garbage until at least 18 mo, when i finally gave up all attempts at sleep training and put a mattress next to his crib. Before that he was waking up every 45 min to 2hrs all.night.long. He still tends to be the one who wakes up the most (i have an older and younger lo). Pm me if you want more info about how i finally got him to sleep. Good luck!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 12:02:30 pm »
We also suffered with Ollys sleep but only until his food problems were sorted, then it was like a breakthrough on the sleep front.

I would have thought if dairy has been eliminated for 4 months then now it is either other food problems or it is routine/props related.

Offline chicagomom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 00:30:10 am »
We also suffered with Ollys sleep but only until his food problems were sorted, then it was like a breakthrough on the sleep front.

I would have thought if dairy has been eliminated for 4 months then now it is either other food problems or it is routine/props related.

I guess this leaves me wondering if DS also has other allergies/intolerances. He has never been quite the same after that GI bug back in march and he just spent 2 days in our Children's Hospital as a result of another GI bug that left him in severe pain and dehydrated. :(  I feel like we are missing something and probably need to consult an allergist as well as return to our GI.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 05:59:21 am »
Hope he is recovered now xx

Have you started a food diary for him yet? Could you take some thing like soy, wheat or eggs out for a few days and see if there is any improvement?

Offline Tecike

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • My little guys...
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 09:25:30 am »
Hope he's better now!

I'd just like to second all the pps - when we cut dairy from DS2's diet, it took him about a month to get a breakthrough on the sleep front. Before that he'd also wake every 45 mins-1 hr all night long, and he slowly got longer stretches. I actually celebrated the first time he slept from 8 pm- 3.30 am!  :)

{{{hugs}}} and hope you can consult an allergist!

Offline mandij08

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 18:50:58 pm »
my baby sleeps terrible even after I have been dairy, nut, egg and fish free for over a mth now. I am wondering if she waking cuz of habit now :( She feeds 3-4 times a nite and wakes an addition 3-4  times for a paci. So I am up a lot.     It stinks cuz I dont know if she is still uncomfortable or if it habit now:( She is 13wks this week.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 19:52:53 pm »
mandij08, might be worth you posting over in the EASY or Night Wakings boards and get your EASY checked out? hugs x

Offline mandij08

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 20:37:53 pm »
buntybear, i am a newbie lol and trying to get an easy set up and trying learn how to resettle her. i havent finished tracy's book yet, so i am not sure how to resettle her at this point. i posted a couple things and got a few responses to them. thank u :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 05:37:14 am »
No woories, it dies take a while to get used to it, even down to knowing which board to post on! There are lots of ladies who will be able to help you out. Welcome! X