Author Topic: Changing teat size?  (Read 1594 times)

Offline ceebs

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 04, 2012, 19:24:19 pm »
So what's the proper way of changing the teat size?

The last few days, DS (12 weeks) has been squirming and grunting while eating. He won't let go of the teat when I try to take it out, but looks like he's struggling. Could it be a sign that he's getting frustrated by the teat flow? At the 2-month mark, I changed the teat to level 2 (designed for 2months+), but after a couple of days, DS started fighting the bottle. I assumed it was the teat, so changed back to level 1. Since then I've tried a couple of times again, but no luck. After the first couple of sips, he spits it out and refuses to take the bottle.

With the level 2, he doesn't seem to be drowning, nor does he have more spit ups, but he does seem like he's trying to catch up to the milk flow, and getting frustrated/tired at the faster flow rate. How long should I keep trying with level 2? If he keeps rejecting the bottle, should I persist? When he's willing and hungry, he only takes about 10 min to finish 3-4oz with the current level 1 teat, but last few times, he's started squirming and grunting, so I wonder if he's starting to get frustrated with the slow flow.

Please help!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Changing teat size?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 21:46:52 pm »
It could be teat size - if you are going to change it, just stick with it as it can take a few feeds to adjust to the new flow.

Another reason for that behaviour is reflux - have a look at this link and see if anything stands out Reflux 101 - General reflux information

Laura

Offline ceebs

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 20:14:53 pm »
So I took DS to the doctor again. She said his symptoms show he has colic?  ??? Is that just another term for reflux? He doesn't cry much. He just fusses at feed times and is very gassy. He sleeps well. Hardly any spit-ups or vomits. Anyway, she has prescribed Losec. I'm still really nervous about starting him on meds. DD lost her appetite altogether once she started meds. Let's see what happens.

Any tips on using losec?

Offline Jaxsta81

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Changing teat size?
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 06:15:29 am »
Another suggestion-have you tried Dr Brown bottles? Really good for gas and fussing.