Author Topic: Resisting transition to sippy cup - but eating more! Updated  (Read 1627 times)

Offline rlkoh

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Resisting transition to sippy cup - but eating more! Updated
« on: October 08, 2012, 15:10:33 pm »
So, we started daycare in September and found out our LO is the only kid in his class that still takes milk from a bottle.  We didn't think too much of it because, well, we've tried to make the switch and usually he just screams and scream until we give him a bottle.  Well, the daycare has been trying to help him switch the last couple of weeks by moving his milk to his sippy cup, but then he wouldn't drink any milk at all (not surprising to us at all) and we would pick up a very hungry and testy toddler so we gave him 5oz of milk (in a bottle) and a snack in the car for the 1 hour ride home.  For our sanity - it's horrible to sit in a car for an hour with a screaming toddler.

Anyways, we decided this weekend we just had to go cold turkey.  So Saturday we give him his morning bottle but then only offer it in a sippy after that (actually, it's still the same bottle, only with a sippy top - the tommy tippee ones).  He refuses all day.  We take him to grandmas in the evening so my DH and I can have a date (she volunteered) and tell her what we're doing - she gives in and gives him a bottle around 8pm.

He wakes up 3 times asking for a bottle, and we refuse saying "you don't get milk at night".  At one point it takes him 2 hours to go back to sleep, and he screams and screams.

Sunday morning he refuses milk again, and doesn't eat much breakfast (not unusual), but by 10 am he's getting super fussy and whiny, asking for his bottle.  We offer him milk in a sippy and he pushes it away and screams.  Ok, time for an early nap!  Wakes up from nap asking for bottle - we offer him sippy cup of milk and he throws it screaming again.  Eats a pretty good size lunch though.

After lunch we take him to a local farm set up like an autumn theme park for the pumpkin patch, corn maze, tractor ride, pig races, etc.  He does fairly well, but occasionally asks for his milk - we offer it in sippy and he throws another fit EVERY SINGLE TIME.  He does, however, devour the rest of his lunch that I decided to pack up and take as a snack.  And also eats half a sausage on a stick and some fried potatoes as if he was mr. starving - seriously, I've never seen this kid eat so much.

He actually *almost* sleeps the whole night from 7pm to 4am.  We get him back to sleep without milk (just water in a sippy) but by 5 am he's having none of that and wants his milk - DH offers it in a sippy and he starts screaming again.  Sooooo, DH brings LO to the kitchen and he devours a whole bowl of dry cereal and four large strawberries and then happily passes out for another hour until we have to go to work.

So, do I have the most stubborn toddler ever?  Will he ever give in to milk in a sippy or are his milk days over?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 15:35:01 pm by rlkoh »
Michael Alexander 2.26.11
Ella Madeline expected soon! 11.21.12

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Resisting transition to bottle (long)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 15:41:27 pm »
That's Mr Stubborn for sure!

Have you tried letting him choose the cup for his milk? Maybe a shopping trip to let him choose and extra special big boy milk cup? He may prefer a straw cup or an open cup.

At the end of the day though if he doesn't drink milk it's not a huge issue. Providing he is drinking other fluids you can increase the dairy and calcium rich foods in his diet to make up for it!

Now that you have come this far don't give the bottle back though - stick with it and he will get used to the idea!

Laurs

Offline rlkoh

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Resisting transition to bottle (long)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 16:27:59 pm »
So, not only is LO stubborn, but he is also allergic to dairy and a very picky eater.  He has an aversion to purees and basically rejects all dairy alternatives, like coconut milk, soy yogurt, fake cheese etc.

And, we have every single kind of cup you can imagine and it doesn't make any difference which one we put milk in - he won't drink it!  He's also only 19 months old and hasn't really started identifying his preferences yet, and it probably doesn't help that he has only 7 words he uses regularly, although he has started to nod and shake his head more.

Offline rlkoh

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Resisting transition to sippy - but eating more! Updated
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 15:32:14 pm »
So, not sure if anyone is interested in my on-going drama, but I thought I would give a Day 4 update.

Yesterday when I picked up LO from daycare they said he "ate everything you packed."  Which I think is suspicious because most of the stuff I packed he hasn't eaten willingly at home: half a sunbutter & jelly sandwich (eats jelly on bread, but never a sandwich and never with sunbutter), green beans, tomatoes and carrots (I have seen him put them in his mouth and spit it out though), some sweet potato tots (had never even touched them), chicken nuggets and strawberries (willingly eats those).  But if he did eat it all, I'm thrilled because that means he's trying new foods.  At dinner I tested to see if he would eat the sweet potato tots with some fish sticks and peas and although he played with them, squished them, dipped them in ketchup and licked it off, he did not actually eat them - I do think him actually touching them and using them for ketchup was an improvement to his previous 100% avoidance.

On the way home he completely refused the Very Vanilla Soy milk box (drank one on Day 3 of the "Resistance"), but I did coax him into eating a banana instead after telling him repeatedly that I did not have a bottle, only the "juice" box or the banana.

Offered milk in a sippy at dinner and bed time to no avail.  He did drink a couple of ounces of juice in a sippy before bed and had a bedtime snack instead, which included some cereal and strawberries.

Woke up at 1am screaming for a bottle and would not go back to sleep for over an hour.

This morning he asked for a bottle again and we offered him milk in a sippy - to no avail, so he ate some cherrios and part of a bagel with blackberry preserves.  Mind you, he has not eaten bagels in months, so I'm guessing it's hunger working here.

So, the bad news is we still can't get him to drink any milk and it's been 4 days.

The good news is, he is eating a lot more than before we gave up the bottle so he's definitely replacing the calories he used to get from milk and he's expanding the types of foods he's willing to eat.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Resisting transition to sippy cup - but eating more! Updated
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 15:52:24 pm »
That sounds good progress to me! Well done!

Keep offering the sippy, I know he's young but try a trip to the shop for a new cup. My DD was a bit younger than him and we showed her cups, told her it was for milk and we were all very excited to choose a new special milk cup ( ::) ;D)) and she did make a choice.

Laura