Author Topic: Teeth... ack!  (Read 898 times)

Offline MakingMischief

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mom to Colin,
« on: October 11, 2012, 17:22:11 pm »
Hi everyone,

My LO now has two bottom teeth poking through! Usually, they don't cause any problem BFing, but sometimes it feels like they're rubbing against the nipple. He's not biting, exactly, it's just like they're rubbing, like his tongue isn't completely poking out between the nipple and teeth. It's more pronounced when he's sleepy and a little sloppy with his latch, or when he's distracted. It's not enough to leave a mark, but it is slightly painful (although not unbearable).

Is this normal? Will it correct itself once he gets used to having teeth or is there anything I can do to avoid it?

Offline clazzat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 286
Re: Teeth... ack!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 18:04:13 pm »
It is normal, it will correct once he is used to having teeth, however if you can feel his teeth on your nipple then he is not feeding properly - his tongue should be between his teeth and the nipple and if it is not then he is probably not really interested in the feed. When you feel the teeth, you should take him off - if he gets mad then you can reposition him so that he is feeding without his teeth touching you; if he doesn't then you will know that he had had enough and that is why he wasn't feeding properly.

I did have this with all of mine - it doesn't actually last that long (and when they got the top teeth the chomping down didn't last that long either - fortunately! Lol)

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Teeth... ack!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 20:56:38 pm »
DD's bottom teeth often rub me no matter how hard we try to get the latch right, but the she still has a bit of a tongue tie so struggles to get her tongue over her teeth at the best of times.

As PP said, once he's used to them being there you'll most likely find it settles down again (until the next ones come through) ;)
*** Amanda ***