Author Topic: skin testing delayed reaction???  (Read 2301 times)

Offline maggie2

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
skin testing delayed reaction???
« on: October 13, 2012, 20:56:44 pm »
So after ds2 had a FPIES reaction to his very first food this week (banana), we got in to see our allergist (dd2 has FPIES so we're familiar with it and saw the same doc)

Are planning on a patch test in a few weeks but first she wanted to to the regular skin prick test to rule out true allergies.

Anyway - everything looked good, but now 2 days out, he has clusters of rashy bumps all over his back (he's only 6 months so they did the testing on his back).  The rash is ONLY on his back where they did the testing , and no where else on his body.

If I look closely, the pimply bumps *may* be clustered in the spots that were pricked but it's hard to tell because we tested probably 15 -20 different things, so there wasn't a whole lot of space left over on his back anyway, lol.

Has anyone ever experienced this before?  Did it mean anything? 

Tx

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: skin testing delayed reaction???
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 21:24:05 pm »
Sorry don't know the answer so bumping for you xx

Offline maggie2

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 22:59:39 pm »
Thank you:)

As an update - the rash definitely started taking on the pattern of where the skin was tested...  there were linear rows of it on his back, spreading outwards...  again - it was originally read as a negative at 20 minutes and only started getting rashy 24-48 hours later  :-\

It's NOT hives either - looks like a contact dermatitis type thing - I'm thinking that he might be super sensitive to a lot of foods and we will be in for a shock come time for his patch test :-[  The rash looks like a patch test reaction, so perhaps that little bit of food molecules from the scratch made him react?  Pretty unusual - I hope he's not going to react to everything really horribly when we do the patch test!!!

any input is really appreciated...

Offline abbysmomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 02:43:09 am »
Did you contact your allergist about this? Take a picture as well, to show that it corresponds to the testing area. Sorry, no experience here but allergies are a tricky science! Good luck and hope you get some answers.

Offline maggie2

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 10:46:08 am »
yes- thanks abbysmama...  I've been in contact with her over email but was a little confused by her response.  she said it "could be indicitive of true allergy and that we should patch test to all those foods".  Doesn't really tell me much.  I would just like to know if this has ever happened to anyone else:(

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 10:49:55 am »
Hey Maggie, to answer your title question, it is possible to have delayed allergic reaction and I think that's why the allergiest responded that further testing might be neccessary.  HTH 

Offline maggie2

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 12:31:27 pm »
So we had already planned on doing the patch testing in a few weeks because that is what looks for possible food intolerances and not true allergies.  She wanted to do the regular prick test in the office to make sure that when we do the patch test, he wouldn't have some sort of severe allergic reaction to the patches because they have to stay on his skin for 24 hours.

So the patch test has always been in the works.  I'm just wondering now if it's unusual to have this sort of delayed reaction to the prick test, which is supposed to give an almost immediate indication of whether or not the person has true allergies.

I'm also wondering if, assuming this is unusual, if this could mean that the tiny bit of food used in the prick test could have set off a reaction usually only seen with a patch test.  And if that's the case, it would mean that he is very very very sensitive and will have a really severe reaction to the patch test, when the foods are left on for 24 hours.

This rash looks just like the reaction my dd had when we had her patch test done..

anyway... my brain certainly is not working at full capacity right now  ;)  Maybe delayed reaction for prick testing are more common than I'm thinking and it does mean a true allergy...  who knows...  I'm just trying to figure out how to take care of him and how to go about an elimination diet when it's likely he's sensitive to EVERYTHING...  :-\

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 17:22:14 pm »
I would be ringing the allergist to check!