Author Topic: Diary of a Picky Eater  (Read 2034 times)

Offline rlkoh

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Diary of a Picky Eater
« on: October 16, 2012, 14:33:02 pm »
I thought I would start a Picky Eater Diary as a continuation of my previous post - Can't get DH on Board with Feeding Strategy (link below).  I just want an opportunity to keep track of my LO's (19 months) progress in trying new things and accepting new foods, but I would like to encourage other parents to post about their successes too if they like.

Can't get DH on board with feeding strategy! Updated

Friday night we had pizza night.  We special order LO's to be dairy free with ham, pineapple and mushrooms (it's the only way I've ever seen him eat mushrooms), and in the past he has tended to eat all the toppings, lick off the tomato sauce, and chew on the bread before spitting it out.  Well, Saturday, he ate pizza like the adults, after eating all the pineapple off the pizza first of course.  He ate 3/4ths of his personal size pizza (no spitting) and slept all night - score!

Saturday I made chicken curry knowing full well he wasn't going to eat it, so as his "go-to" food I gave him peas and some berries.  As expected, he ate those only, but did try a little bit of rice with the curry sauce on it, didn't like it so avoided the rice all together for the rest of the meal.

Sunday we had stew - again, LO doesn't really like dishes where things are mixed together so he didn't even touch it.  Knowing that, I served him peas on the side and also offered a dairy free crescent roll.  I've offered him those rolls numerous times without him taking even the slightest interest in them, but to my surprise he actually picked it up and took several bites!  Yes!!!

Last night was left over chicken curry.  No success there - LO only ate peas, blueberries and a small slice of ham, all things he willingly eats on a regular basis.

Michael Alexander 2.26.11
Ella Madeline expected soon! 11.21.12

Offline rlkoh

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Diary of a Picky Eater
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 14:49:32 pm »
So last night we had taco/burrito night.  We offered LO a corn tortilla with rice and pinto beans (not refried) with some carnitas and corn salsa on the side.  Honestly, I only expected him to eat the rice and corn, but to my surprise he was going crazy over the pinto beans and asked for seconds twice!  He barely touched the corn, which I think had to do with the cilantro mixed in throwing him off his usual love affair with the stuff, and completely refused the carnitas.

Beans have been one of those foods I've seen him eat outside the house 2 or 3 times, but never when I actually made an effort to offer them - it always seemed like a fluke on the rare moments he did eat them so I never considered it part of the list of foods he was willing to eat.  However, with him eating beans twice in one week, that may be changing for the better.

Also, I think my DH is finally understanding the benefit of not offering additional foods if LO rejects what we offer initially.  With LO giving up his bottle and almost all milk at the same time, we've been preparing a simple breakfast as soon as he wakes up and before we leave the house for daycare/work at 6:15 in the morning.  Usually we offer him some dry cereal with some fresh fruit and he would cry when he saw his plate and ask for a bottle instead.  Before, my husband would just try to find something else that LO would eat, but now we tell our son "you don't have to eat it, but that's all there is" and LO would change his mind after a few more minutes of protesting and start eating.  Sometimes, if he continues to cry we'll say "ok, you don't want to eat it and that's ok so lets go change your clothes and see if you want to eat later" and that will do the trick - he will eat after we change him out of his pjs and offer it a second time.  I want to start offering more variety for breakfast, like oatmeal and eggs, but I figure for now I can just rotate the types of dry cereal he's eating and try to introduce a new one about every week.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 11:43:43 am »
Sounds great!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline rlkoh

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 16:21:49 pm »
No good news to report today.  Yesterday LO was a very picky eater.

But he did eat beans again, for the 3rd time in one week so that is some progress.

I also switched his soy milk to one with less sugar (we were getting Very Vanilla Silk) that is more equivalent to 2% milk and he seems to have accepted the change without fuss.  Since we went cold turkey on his bottle, he's been refusing formula out of any container so we've been offering him a "box" which is a prepackaged individual serving of soy milk, and he's been drinking about 8 oz a day.  And in case you're wondering, we refer to it as his "box" because we're afraid if we call it milk he'll reject it, so it's a little trickery that seems to be working for now.