Author Topic: Awesome day, rough night for my 7wo  (Read 1307 times)

Offline daisycsb

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 17, 2012, 10:58:57 am »
I started EASY 2 days ago with my 7week old DS.  The first day wasn't perfect but the second was 7, 10, 1, 4, cluster at 6, 7:30 like clockwork with 2 hour naps.  "A" time is basically just a diaper change/walking around the apartment/talking.  The rest of the night was horrible: he wouldn't last more than 40 minutes any time I put him down.  He ate again at 3:30am and then again at 5:45.  He is bottle fed as much as he wants - formula (soy) and breastmilk, usually 4oz per feed.  Before we started EASY, he was waking and eating around every 3 hours at night but the days were challenging to get him to sleep.  This round we did the shh pat and pu/pd when he was crying or heavily fussing.  He always takes a passy when we put him down. I finally resorted to a sling (bad idea, I know) half an hour ago because I'm beyond frustrated and sleep deprived.  He has been a bit gassy so we've had him on a homeopathic solution which has helped a lot.

Any suggestion for help with the night??

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Awesome day, rough night for my 7wo
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:18:22 pm »
Hi there, and welcome!
First off, we don't do PU/pd for babies under four months as its too stimulating -- there some good info here on shush/pat Pat-shush for babies under three months old -- that might help some. 

Is she eating at all between 7:30 and 3:30 -- that would be a really long stretch for a 7 week old!  Wakings like that are often discomfort of some sort -- does he seem uncomfortable to you when he wakes?

Offline daisycsb

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 19:18:22 pm »
Thanks so much!  It is really helpful to know that since my DS is a Touchy baby and is easily overstimulated.  Your link was very helpful.

The first night we did a dream feed 3 hours after the last feeding and last night, because he wasn't sleeping more than 30 minutes at a time, we did a feed at 9:30pm.  We ended up doing other feeds around 3 hours apart throughout the night because he wasn't sleeping.  Most of the time when he wakes up, he's pretty content and the other times, he's just hungry.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 02:09:00 am »
Is he just happy and looking around when he wakes or does he cry straight away?

Offline daisycsb

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 01:02:22 am »
Its a combination though mostly he is ok for a few minutes and then starts to whimper and cry.  I think reflux may be contributing as well...  Every time he spits up while sleeping, he wakes up crying.  We had him on Zantac and just switched to Prevacid.  I'm going to check out the reflux section as well.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 02:06:01 am »
Yes, definitely post on reflux, if you haven't already.  You can't sleep train a LO when they're in pain, so let the ladies there give you some advice on what your next move it.  Hang in there, it's not easy!