Author Topic: 9 month old doesn't like drinking milk!!!  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Aishi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 105
9 month old doesn't like drinking milk!!!
« on: October 20, 2012, 08:09:07 am »
Dd is having 20oz milk (not including milk in solids) as follows

4oz 1-1.5hr after wu (won't have it earlier!)

4oz before nap 1

4 oz before nap 2

8 oz before bed

She always feeds ok before sleep times (not fds) which is why I think she wont drink am bottle without a fight (no reflux but may have dysphagia so I thicken milk).

My question is can I drop am bottle as its pushing day feeds out too much and increase milk in breakfast eg 2 oz in cereal followed by 1 tbs yoghurt? As well as trying to increase other two 4 oz bottles to 5 oz if that makes sense?

Hope someone has btdt! Tia! xx
aishi :)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 9 month old doesn't like drinking milk!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 11:10:27 am »
I would drop the bottle before nap 1 and give her a bigger bottle before nap 2. Would she have her first bottle with breakfast or just after? It's not ideal but if you are struggling you could do solids first - milky cereal is great then the bottle afterwards. Maybe try 3 bottles first to see if you can get her to take a much bigger bottle before her pm nap, if she does take more then try the milk after breakfast solids.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline Aishi

• Showing Appreciation 105
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 11:21:26 am »
Thanks for getting back to me. She def wont have bottle with or after breakfast :( and she has really high a times almost upto 4 hours which makes nap2 around 4-4.3 usually which is why I give 4oz and tea t 5/5.15 and BT bottle at 7.15. All her feeds are clustered together via she only has milk feeds before naps or she won't drink so I'm at a bit off a loss! E.g usual easy

Wu 7
E 8am 4 oz really struggle with this feed
Breakfast 9
E 10.30 4oz
S 10.45-12.45 max
Lunch 1
E 4.15 4oz
S 4.30-5.15 max
Tea 5.15
BT 7.15 8oz
BT 8

She's happy enough to eat solids upon waking but not milk! It was working ok for us but lately she's refusing first bottle and I think it's cos she full from day before but even if I decrease solid overall milk intake won't go up iykwim? Hope that makes sense! xx
aishi :)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 11:29:04 am »
Her milk feeds are really close together in the morning which maybe part of the problem really - she only has 2.5 hours between her first 2 bottles plus she has had  solids too. I would still drop to 3 bottles and space them out as much as you can I would give a bigger lunch too and more of a snack tea time.

Laura

Offline dumbmum101

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 19:11:40 pm »
Hi - sorry to jump in but I also have a 9mnth old refusing her milk. However, it's manifesting itself very differently.

The only bottle she'll take with any enthusiasm is her first bottle in the morning (180 mls).  I struggle to get her to take another bottle until 2pm before her 2nd nap and nursery staff don't seem to be able to get her to have it until 4pm!

Then BT bottle is getting worse and worse - totally refused it tonight.

My major concerns are that 1 - she's only taking 400 mls a day MAX. 2 - she's waking up hungry in the night too now, very hard to settle without a feed but I always try for at least 45 mins to an hour. But when her stomach starts really rumbling I give in.

Typical routine

6:30/7am Wake and bottle - 180 mls
8am - Breakfast
8:30am Off to nursery with dad
9:30/10am- 1st nap
11/11:30am - Wake up
11:30am - Lunch
2pm - Staff try with bottle - usually refused or only get 30 mls down her
2:30pm - 2nd nap
3:30/4pm - Wake
4pm - Staff offer bottle again - today she actually took 150mls!!!
5pm - Dinner at home
7pm - Try with bottle - sometimes drinks half approx (80 mls)
7:15pm - Bath
7:30pm - Try more bottle - maybe get another 30-60 mls down her but she really really hates it