Author Topic: What are we doing wrong @ 4mo  (Read 758 times)

Offline Anmarnad

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
What are we doing wrong @ 4mo
« on: October 23, 2012, 12:04:23 pm »
My little girl turned 4 months today. We have been on EASY since the beginning and things have been going well. 3 weeks ago she started the day care and we have been struggling ever since. Despite my desperate efforts her schedule seems to be going all over the place and I don't know any more how to help her.

Here are her schedules for the last 3 days:

Sunday (I call it a good day):

Eat: 7:30
Activity: 8:00-9:30
Sleep: 9:30-11:00 (she did wake up after 45 min, but I managed to convince her to sleep some more)

Eat: 11:15
Activity: 11:30-12:35
Sleep: 12:35-13:05 (we were in church and she fell asleep all of a sudden)
Activity: 13:05 - 14:00
Sleep: 14:00-15:00

Eat:15:00
Activity: 15:15-17:15
Sleep: 17:15-18:00

Eat: 18:30
Bath, bed by 19:30

Dreamfeed at 23:30

Monday (at the day care):

Eat: 7:30
Activity: 7:50-9:35
Sleep: 9:35-10:30

Eat: 11:00
Activity: 11:15-13:00
Sleep:13:10-13:50
Activity: 14:00-15:05

Eat: 15:05
Activity: 15:20-16:00
Sleep: 16:00-17:40

Bed time routine as usual

Today (@ home with daddy)
Eat: 7:00
Activity 7:30-9:05
Sleep 9:05-9:35
Activity 9:35-10:55 (it mainly consisted of trying to get her to sleep again)

Eat: 10:55
Activity: 11:10-12:05
Sleep:12:05 - 12:45

It's 14:00 and she has been trying to fall asleep for the last 30 min (no success just yet) - she is not crying, just quietly looking around and rubbing her eyes, and making mmmmmmm sounds sometimes...

Now, my question is - where am I missing the point? Is my activity time too long/short? Is the structure wrong? What can I do to improve her day and bring some order to her day and make EASY easy again? Thanks for your help!

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: What are we doing wrong @ 4mo
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 17:53:22 pm »
I think that before the morning nap she would need a slight increase in her A time. She gives you 45min-1h nap and that would indicate UT. I don't think she needs much more, maybe just add 10 more minutes to her A.
Your second A was either too short or too long (too short on Sunday, too long at daycare). I would think that she needs something around 2h of A before the second nap. 1.5h A gives you another UT nap but the daycare gave her way too much A time than what she could handle right now. Could you talk to them about not stretching this A too long?
You can have a look here what other babies her age are doing: chronological EASY samples, 4-6 months Notice that at 4m there is a jump in A because they are more alert and are transitioning from 3h EASY to 4h EASY.
Is she FF or BF? Are feeds ok?
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline Anmarnad

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 19:02:44 pm »
Thank you so much for your advice! Usually we aim at 2h A, but when she starts sleeping "funny" - it all gets messed up. She feeds well - BF. When she is at the day care, or has a daddy day - I express milk and she takes it from the bottle (which goes down very well). The day care is very close to my work, so I go there for the 3pm feed. 

What should I do if she wakes up after say 45 min and doesn't want to go down again - usually I wait with feeding till around the "right" time and keep the A time 2 hours from the time she woke up (which makes me nervous, because that means going to sleep soon after E).

I have spent quite some time studying the other sample EASY routines and I TRY (on the days when I'm around and stay at home things go better because somehow I manage to extend her naps) to be on a 4 hours EASY with 2h A time. It's just all confusing to me - it was all going so well when she was on 3h EASY and I was on my maternity leave (why do we have it so short here?!).

Thanks again for your thoughts. I will try to extend her A time in the morning tomorrow. It's a day care day, but I always let her fall asleep at home in her pram, wait a bit and then we walk to the day care (she is sleeping). Lets see what happens...   

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 07:40:42 am »
If she is BF then it might take her longer to be on 4h gaps between feeds. She still needs a higher A then she has now but please don't worry about the feeds. You don't NEED to wait 4h between feeds, just feed when she is hungry. It's not the end of the world to feed before sleep and it's ok if you do that and then make sure she is awake when going into her crib, so you can change her nappy or even have 10min of A time. That way she won't associate feeding with sleeping.
If she wakes up after 45min then your EASY will look like this: EASAEAS. The A after the short nap can maybe be shorter (some babies needs it shorter, some need a full A, like my DS was).
The samples are just that - samples. Every baby is different and they are just there to give you an indication but EASY is really not that strict, it's all about doing what works for you and your LO.
How did today go?
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/