Author Topic: Formula to cow's milk - 18 month old  (Read 3121 times)

Offline snowbird

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
Formula to cow's milk - 18 month old
« on: October 31, 2012, 10:34:00 am »
Hi,

Still giving LJ formula milk. Want to transition to cow's milk sooner rather than later. Do I just switch for both her bottles? Having issues with EWS at the mo and not sure we should do this at the same time. Any thoughts? Xxx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 10:42:47 am »
I wouldn't think making the switch will have any impact on your EW. 

Are you getting rid of the bottles too? 

My friends LO resisted the change so she did it gradually.  So replaced one oz of formula with 1 oz of cows milks and every few days added another oz of cows milk and reduced the formula by an oz.  In 2 weeks her LO was on cows milk and no formula. 

Offline snowbird

• LJ
Re: Formula to cow's milk - 18 month old
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 11:00:01 am »
Sounds like a plan, Shiv! Will see if she will take a full one first.

LJ had 2oz milk in the morning but has refused it since we put it in a sippy cup! Even tried buying a new cup with a spout a bit more like a bottle but not interested. Water comes in cups, not milk lol!

Thinking of removing morning bottle first. Only prob is she has it before her nap and in the past she's refused to go down without it. We now give it to her and then read a couple of stories. Plan is to move it further and further forward. Same with bt bottle at the mo too.

Wdyt? Xxx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 11:13:16 am »
Only prob is she has it before her nap and in the past she's refused to go down without it. We now give it to her and then read a couple of stories. Plan is to move it further and further forward. Same with bt bottle at the mo too.

That sounds like a good plan. 

Have you tried a straw cup?  It took both mine a good  while to drink any sort of volume of milk from a cup so don't worry if she's not taking a lot initially. 

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 14:58:53 pm »
Have you tried a straw cup?
I was going to suggest this too.
I bought a few different straw cups and tbh in the end settled with just a bottle and those long bendy disposable straws because straws are so hard to clean and I always worried about milk residue in them...but I'm going off topic...DS refused to have his morning milk moved to a sippy cup but was happy with a straw and will take a full amount.  He has a milk with dinner/supper in a sippy and only takes 1 or 2 oz.

We had no issue swapping to cows milk at all.  I just gave it to him just under the 12 months guidance because there was none of our formula left in any shop in town!  he didn't bat an eye.  I think all LOs are different and some don't like the change over and some don't mind.
Hope it goes smoothly for you.

Offline snowbird

• LJ
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 21:16:28 pm »
I've not offered her milk in a straw cup, but she's used one for ages for water. She loves it! I might just try a cup with a disposable straw then in the morning and see if she's interested. Thanks! xxx

Offline snowbird

• LJ
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 11:04:14 am »
Well I gave her milk in a cup with a straw and she had 2 sips - more than normal! Might have been too cold though! Been warming it slightly to take the chill off it and didn't today.

2 days on cows milk and all ok except for dodgy nappies! How long should we expect looser Bowels for? Xxx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 20:32:12 pm »
It can take a couple of weeks for them to get used to the cows milk.  Although has your LO been having cows milk in cooking or cereals already?  Are there any issues with dairy?

Offline snowbird

• LJ
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 21:17:55 pm »
Yes, she's had it on cereal and in cooking since 6 months. Just a larger quantity of cow's milk now! Hopefully won't last too long then... Thanks Shiv xxx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 22:16:02 pm »
No worries lovely xx 

So glad the transition is going so well.  It really is a big change for them so you are both doing great xx