Author Topic: What has happened to my 2 year old's eating!?  (Read 1578 times)

Offline linny75

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
What has happened to my 2 year old's eating!?
« on: November 01, 2012, 12:59:41 pm »
Hey there
I'm hoping to get some advice, perhaps from mums who have been there. Up until recently (i would say 2 weeks), my little boy who turned 2 in september, was an AMAZING eater.. he would eat anything and everything and would hardly leave anything on his plate.
However, since he started nursery in september, his eating is going down hill...a lot more fussy about what he eats and never finishes his full serving. He has had a run of cold, but even when he is well, he doesn't like eating, even when i make him his favourite foods.
It's stressing me out a bit- how can i get him back to how he was...i'm really hoping this is just a short phase?
Anyone else with this experience, any advice?

xx

Offline snowbird

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
Re: What has happened to my 2 year old's eating!?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 11:10:21 am »
I think you just need to stay relaxed about it and put no pressure on him to eat. If he's finished, just take it away and do not comment. He'll pick up on any anxiety and will be more inclined to keep it up. I know it's hard, but that's all you can do! Relax!

LJ goes through stages of eating lots/little and when she doesn't eat much she always comes out the other end soon enough. That's what Toddlers do. We have never commented on what she eats and never stress about food - especially in front of her! Have to admit there was 1 time when I was worried but LJ wouldn't have known that.

Big hugs - it won't last long if you deal with it in a chilled manner!

Good luck xx

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 11:21:53 am »
Does he have his 2 year molars yet? If they are coming in or even moving around in his jaw that will have an impact on how much he wants to eat.

Laura

Offline linny75

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 13:30:52 pm »
thanks Snowbird and Laura!

Yes i think you're right, i will start taking the more chilled approach, and hopefully he will go back to eating well. He didn't want his lunch today, so i just took it away.  Quick question- he will eat things like cereal, bananas (on toast), yoghurt and fruit- obviously he can't just live of that limited amount of food- would you offer him these 'favourites' if he doesn't want his main meal, or would you just not give him anything so that he doesn't come to rely on just eating those foods?

His back molars are coming- but it's so hard to see what stage they are at, as he won't let me look in there (or feel in there).

xx

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 13:36:45 pm »
I would continue to offer him his meals are you normally would and make sure there are one or two things on his plate that you know he will eat. If he doesn't eat much and you think he is hungry you could offer a snack before bed for example but leave it for as long as you can after the meal so he sees it as a seperate thing not and "instead of" choice.

Are you medicating for the teeth?

Laura