Author Topic: More than 32 oz okay?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Ffi12

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 02, 2012, 18:59:40 pm »
Hi,  i read a lot of articles about maximum of formula + milk per day to be 32 oz.  my Lo is 15 weeks and 16 pounds.  He is now eating about 32 oz.  he has no interest in solids and does not seem to want more yet but he probably would soon.  2 weeks ago,  he is eating about 30 oz on average.  Is there any harm in giving him more?  Not sure why 32oz is the limit.  Thank you!

Offline brummum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 56
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 19:14:15 pm »
I'm no expert but from personal experience there is no way I could have kept my LO at 32oz! When we started bottle feeding at 4 months he was having 6 7oz bottles in 24hrs. He is 95th centile though! Where did you read about the 32oz? I think the advice given here is that if bottle feeding they should always stop of their own accord (so ideally make enough so that they leave some rather than drain the bottle) so I think give him as much as he wants (but not allowing him to snack all day rather than take full feeds) and as long as his growth is okay then don't worry.
As I said though, i'm no expert so maybe someone a bit more knowledgable will be around soon to help!

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
Re: More than 32 oz okay?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 19:27:23 pm »
Hi!

I've never heard of 32 oz being a limit ??? My DS was on 40 oz for a long long time and was doing great. Doctors did not seem concerned / worried.

I totally agree with pp, I think the key is to feed them so that they stop on their own, not because the bottle is empty.
Elise

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 20:23:31 pm »
I have read that limit as well... I don't buy it for a second.  If baby is hungry - feed him.  And not solids yet, save that until he is 5-6 months old ;)

Just thinking.. 15 weeks is right in between a couple of growth spurts - could be that they are affecting his intake... my DD drank an ever increasing amount until about 5 months, then leveled out until about 10 months when she slowly started reducing milk in favour of solids (though she still had 24 ozs a day at that time).

The only thing I would consider is reflux... is he happy and feeding well or is he snacking and seeming to be comfort feeding?

Offline Ffi12

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 23:26:27 pm »
Thanks for the comments.  My little guy (big at 98+% tile) eats well.  He eats 5 times during the day at about 6- 7 pz each time.  Not a snacker :). No reflux.  I guess I will just let him eat as much as he wants. He just like to eat .

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 04:00:52 am »
^^  Yup - I would just follow his lead :)  Babies are excellent self-regulators and know what they need. 

And really, some companies say to use 2.5 ozs per pound of body weight as a guide for how much bubs "should" eat in a day... he could well be in line with that ;)