Author Topic: Transition to Daycare  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Barley

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 03, 2012, 13:14:07 pm »
We have just started Daycare this week and for the most part it has gone very well.
However, we decided to start feeding her at school versus at home because she wasn't very interested in her a.m. feedings and needed some wake time. Unfortunately, the time she would prefer to eat would be when she is at daycare. The draw back to that is they are little later at feeding her then we would like.

She is an 4 hour easy at this point and will take anywhere to 5-8oz at a feeding. My concern is that when she gets home and it is time to go to bed she is not very hungry,so obviously she eats very little at the 7 p.m. feeding. To be honest she really needs to go bed early because she is exhausted from daycare.

I am not really sure what  I should do here. I debating about feeding her again in the a.m before she leaves the house or just continuning on as is.  The difference as I can see it is that she is either going to eat less in the a.m. if feed at home or eat less at home at night if feed at daycare in the a.m. I can't decide which is the better battle.  Also, she has started refussing the dream feed in the last week, but we did get her to take it one night.

Any thoughts?

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: Transition to Daycare
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 18:51:23 pm »
Is she BF or FF?
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline Barley

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 01:50:18 am »
FF.... Berber good start gentle,  which is heavier on the whey proteins

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 08:35:01 am »
I am going to move you to the FF board because I think it's more related to her feeding then to her routine :)
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 23:03:13 pm »
Is she still STTN?

Offline Barley

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 02:08:15 am »
Yes to STTN. Had a little hiccup with time change but back on track with sleeping at night.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 04:51:53 am »
good start gentle,  which is heavier on the whey proteins

It's 100% whey protein ;)  I use it too - in Canada, it's marketed by Nestle though...   that said, this makes no difference to her eating patterns/needs.  Just easier to digest.

I just noticed that we haven't covered how old she is?  I see no mention of solids so I am gonna assume she is under 6 months...

the time she would prefer to eat would be when she is at daycare

This leads me to suggest that you feed her when she will take a good feed - at daycare.

The draw back to that is they are little later at feeding her then we would like

My only thought: is she okay with the timing of her feed at daycare or is she starving by the time they get to her?  If she is fine with it, leave it be.  If she is going hungry for a time, I would start offering a morning feed at home - even if she only has a couple of ounces, it could get her through to the feed time at daycare.

Overall, EASY does have to bend a little for LO's preferences and the daycare situation as well.

Offline Barley

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 16:13:47 pm »
Well, we are ending week 2 of daycare and pretty much all this week I have had feed her before she goes (thanks to daylight savings change).  Today she didn't wake until about 15 mintues before time to leave so I sent the bottle.

I have decided that I will just let her wake on her own versus waking her in time to eat. If she wakes in time to have some A time and then eat I will feed her, if not then I will them feed her at school and she can have her A time on the way and while they are getting ready.

The good news is I have noticed she has made major jump in her eating this week, so I feel better about it.  However, she is pretty consistent about having at least one bad bottle a day (meaning not eating much). Yesterday, before she left for school she at an 7 oz. bottle at school only at 4 oz. but at the next bottle at school at 7 oz and then at home had 6 oz.

She is 14 weeks, so no solids yet. But, I think she is going to like the solids once we get there!

Thanks for your suggestion it at least makes me feel we are heading in the right direction!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 00:25:37 am »
I wouldn't wake her either - daycare is tiring stuff for wee bubs ;)

If she is getting at least 24 ozs a day and seems happy, things are good :)

Could be that she is wanting a bit longer between feeds - as LO's get close to 4 months (or a bit sooner) feeds move to 4 hrly; )