Author Topic: Eating more at night than at the day  (Read 1979 times)

Offline wikowa

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Mummy to a spirited Tymon
Eating more at night than at the day
« on: November 04, 2012, 23:39:12 pm »
Hello,

Was wondering if any of you Ladies experience the same thing.
My 21 week LO has developed some strange eating habits lately.
He eats more at night than at the day. He's on 4 hour schedule and he struggles to eat 5 oz during a daytime but eats around 6oz sometimes 7 during night feeds. Today for example he ate:

2.30am - 6oz
4.30am - 5oz
7am - 4.5oz
11.00am - 4.5oz
3.00pm - 4oz
7.00pm - 5.5oz
DF - 6oz I need to feed him at 9.45pm otherwise he will wake up hungry just after 10.

Feeding at daytime is an absolute nightmare. He's so distracted, sometimes it takes 25min to eat 4oz!!!
He is gain weight fine so I'm not worried about this.
He just been thought a massive growth spurt and been put on Soya milk more than week ago. That has stopped the reflux almost completely. I'm offering him more milk at daytime but he's just not interested. Looks like he is not getting en aught calories at day so he will top up at night with bigger feeds every 2,5-3 hours.

Really no idea what happend and how to change it. Few weeks back we had to feed him only once at night now we back to 2!

He falls asleep independently and we have never feed him to sleep as he was on EASY since day one.

Has it got something to do with his development? 

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Eating more at night than at the day
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 04:21:21 am »
Could be a leftover habit from the growth spurt... you just need to slowly shift those calories back to daytime... I would start with reducing the 430am NF (leave the DFand other NF as it is for now).  Reduce the 430am NF by an ounce every few nights, he should be hungrier for his first bottle of the morning that way.  Once you get down to 2 ozs for the 430am NF, stop giving it (or you could offer water only) and resettle until morning.  It might take a few nights, but he will realize that there is no food at that waking...

Since he had one NF plus the DF before, I would go back to that.. if you find after weaning that 430am feed that he still isn't taking more in the daytime, we look at reducing the other NF at 230am.

The general guideline with NF's is that LO is expected to go as long between feeds overnight as they can during the day.. so his 230am feed is fine :)

Offline wikowa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 20:06:31 pm »
Hi Kara,

Thanks for your advice. Now you've said that I really makes me thinking that it is a leftover habit from the growth spurt.
I've gave him last night a little bit less for his 4.30 feed and he was definitely hungry for his 7am feed. Still I feel like the biggest problem is his 11.00am feed. He will have like 2oz and he will play with a bottle for next 20 min finishing on 4oz max. Like he is not hungry - again possibly to much food at night.
Also what should I do with his DF. We would usually feed him at 10.30ish but now he will wake up at 10 screaming for food. Should I feed him earlier than 10?

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 23:05:14 pm »
Random thought: maybe time to increase nipple size??

I would keep the DF at 945pm for now until we can get the rest of his eating sorted...

Offline wikowa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 23:27:03 pm »
Hello

I've changed nipple size last Monday :)

Will start giving him DF at 9.45 then and less mill at 4 and hopefully things will get better.

Fingers crossed!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 04:44:23 am »
Sounds like a good plan to me!  Keep me posted :)

Offline wikowa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 14:41:27 pm »
Ok ,so now except the strange eating habit we have a lot of crying.  Started yday afternoon. He is not ill or in any discomfort, he just very unsettle. Practically glued to me all the time. Had a hard time to resettle him last night and after every night feed. Naps are a nightmare as well. Question is: Do they have some sort of development milestone at this age? (sorry for posting this here just had no idea where to put this on forum)

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 22:24:01 pm »
There is one at 19 weeks... and another at 26 weeks.  These are based on gestational age, not actual... so if he was born early/late, you have to adjust based on his due date...

http://www.thewonderweeks.com/index.php/about-the-wonder-weeks/your-babys-10-leaps/mental-leap-4

Don't suppose it could be teething??

Offline wikowa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 22:43:18 pm »
So now things are getting even more out of control.

Last night he woke up at 2.30, 3.30, 4.30 and 6. Both times wide awake really difficult to settle him back to sleep. Still gave him only 3oz at 4.30 which he did not finished. Than he had a proper feed at 7.00 and start crying for food after 3 hours. I've decided to follow his clues and we finished on feeding every 3,5 hours. For his DF he was awake at 9.40! This is ver strange. Like another growth spurt.

Still very unsettle for all day. His day naps are seams to be better for a change so I was thinking that maybe that's affecting the nights but he still sleeps only 3,5 to 4,5 hours at day.

He is definitely not theething. He has been on new milk - soya - for the last 2 weeks. I thought that this is working as his reflux is practicality gone, eczema has disappeared  after a week. Could it be the new milk?

Also I've spoke with the health visitor and she suggested start introducing solids from 5 months ( thus Friday) as he is showing all the signs to be ready. Now I'm not in the hurry to move him on to the solids but maybe she is right?

So confused!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:59:33 am by wikowa »

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 04:10:32 am »
He is definitely not theething. He has been on new milk - soya - for the last 2 weeks. I thought that this is working as his reflux is practicality gone, eczema has disappeared  after a week. Could it be the new milk?

Absolutely.  Loads of babies with reflux are MPI or MSPI - meaning that soy is as much an issue as cow's milk. The proteins are very similar.  That said, it does take at least 2 weeks for dairy proteins to leave the body completely... but, since he is worse, I would suggest a hypoallergenic formula to rule out the MSPI concerns.

What is his daily routine right now?

Offline wikowa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 17:01:04 pm »
We are seeing a doc on Wed so I will suggest to try the different milk.  I mean his reflux now is nothing compare to what is was on normal formula but still if there is something we can do about it it's worth trying.

Now listen to this, last night he woke up at 21.40pm for his DF ...is he clever or what? ;) anyway I've resettle him and then successfully feed him at 22.20. Then he woke up at 1.30am again resettled and he slept until 3.00am and had  a feed. Then woke up at 5.00 gave him 2oz and he slept until 7.30am. He's feeds at 7ish and 11ish are much better now as he takes full 5oz instead of 4. The other thing I've noticed is that he will eat 6 -6.5oz for his 7pm and DF (a bit worried that it will give him a tummy ache).

Here is our rota for the last 24 hours. His naps are a little bit all over the place (still bit better than they were).

15.00 E
15.30 S
17.00 A
19.00 E
19.30 S
DF 22.20
3.00 E
5.00 E
7.30 E
9.30 S - only 45min
10.15 A
11.00 E
12.15 S - 1.20
13.35 A
14.45 E (to be honest he was hungry since about 14.30)
15.30 S
16.30 A

I will try to make him cat nap at around 17.30 I'll take him out to the shops in baby carrier). I'm aiming to feed him at around 18.45 - 19.00 bed by 19.30.

Do you think that I should try water at the second feed at night now? Also someone suggested that he might need a longer A time?

Kara - I just wanted to say THANK YOU for all your advice.