Author Topic: 17 Week Old Night Waking  (Read 1268 times)

Offline frac09

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
17 Week Old Night Waking
« on: November 08, 2012, 02:47:56 am »
Okay, here is my easy

E-7
A-
S-
E-10:00
A-
S-
E-12:30
A-
S-usually when he naps for at least 2hours
E- 4 or 5 ish
A-
S- cat nap
E- 6 or 7ish
A- play get ready for bed
S- around 8
Dreamfeed at 9:45 (that time seems to work the best for him)

Lately, waking at 2 sometimes feed
Always wake at 4 to eat
Then up by 7 to start the day... Often Doesn't even seem hungry then.

Suggestions??

Seems like a lot of feedings for 17weeks ya?? Don't want to be feeding at night any more!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 02:55:26 am »
Are you breastfeeding? It's completely normal for a 4 month old to be wking to eat once or twice a night. All of my LOs did. Technically I guess if I don't feed at each waking and try to settle without a feed my DD will likely wake less, but it doesn't bother me that she eats twice a night. Your routine is ok but it might be time to start moving towards a 4hr easy and 3 naps a day.

Also there is a big growth spurt at 4 mos where LOs will wake more often to eat so bear that in mind.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline frac09

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 17 Week Old Night Waking
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 03:11:45 am »
It's just strange though because he used to sleep 6-7 hours now he's sleeping less. Yes I breastfeed.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 14:03:55 pm »
Sorry, I meant to reply again last night but I was typing from my phone and it wasn't posting!

It is not strange at all for a baby who was previously sleeping longer stretches to start waking more around this age (or for any age that matter, they are always changing!).  In addition to the 4 month growth spurt, there are also lots of developmental factors at play.  Babies are becoming more alert and aware, and less sleepy.  Developmental leaps often affect sleep.  Also it is not uncommon for many babies to start teething this early, which could be a factor to consider as well when baby is waking more often.

I would suspect your LO is waking more due to a growth spurt, especially if he is waking hungry at night.  There are really two approaches here:  You could settle with a feed for now but know that has the potential to create a habit for night waking, or you could resettle without a feed using ssh/pat and/or pick up put down (or if you are like me and are not opposed to a little bit of APing, you could hold or rock your LO, again with risk of creating a prop but a small risk IMO).  If you choose to resettle without a feed it is likely your LO will go back to sleeping longer or even all night much quicker after the growth spurt is over.  It takes longer to break a feeding habit.  However, I really feel that if your baby is hungry, especially during a growth spurt, you should feed him.  Feeding more frequently during growth spurts will ensure your supply grows to meet his needs.  Your milk supply could be affecting if you are going a long time without feeding him as your body will produce less milk.

With regards to your routine, at this age many babies will start to transition to more of a 4 hour routine.  He may not be able to jump to 4 hrs between feeds right away, it's often something you have to work up to.  But if you are feeding him too often during the day, there is the possibility that he is not taking full feeds and therefore is not getting enough calories during the day to sustain him at night.  By stretching his feeds to 3.5 and eventually 4 hrs he will feed better during the day and will need less at night. 

IMO it is much more normal for a 4 month baby to be waking once, twice or even three times a night, than it is for a baby to be sleeping all night long.  The main thing is how you feel about getting up that often.  If having him sleep longer stretches or even all night long is a priority for you, then sleep training and resettling without feeds may help achieve that goal quicker.  I would like my DD to sleep longer at night and I know I have to stop feeding her so much to do this, but I also know that it's easy for me and her if I feed her, and I'm not ready to tackle it yet so I think I will wait until the is a little bit older before trying to get her to sttn, maybe when she is 6mos.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline frac09

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 17 Week Old Night Waking
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 16:02:54 pm »
When he wakes up at one he will do a about a five mons nurse and then settle back to sleep. However, he will not settle with just his suckie or cuddles.
Maybe I should let him eat for a few days, incase it is a GS and then do what you said with just getting him back to sleep??

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 17:45:04 pm »
Yes, that's what I would do.  My DD is almost the same age, right now she is waking between 1-2am and between 4-5am and I am feeding her both times.  I know our NWings are more out of habit than anything else, but for the time being I don't mind doing it.   
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010