Author Topic: Help! 5 month old waking every hour after 2 am  (Read 1131 times)

Offline StlMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help! 5 month old waking every hour after 2 am
« on: November 12, 2012, 16:25:40 pm »
I am very frustrated and I don't really know what to do.  My LO has stopped sleepy well.  It all began with grandma watching her and didn't put her down for one nap.  Then daylight savings changed and I think she hit a growth spurt.  It's now been over a week and she still isn't sleeping.  For about a week she was waking every 1 1/2 all night.  Now, she is waking every hour after 2 am.  She is bottle-fed and she isn't always the best eater.  She takes in the recommended ounces but just barely (about 25 oz/day).  Here is her schedule. Any suggestions would be very, very welcome. 

6:30 W
7 E (usually only takes 3 oz)
8:30 - 10:30 Nap
11 E
1 - 2:30 Nap
3 E
5 - 5:45 catnap
6 E
7 bedtime
10 dream feed

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Help! 5 month old waking every hour after 2 am
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 20:17:28 pm »
Is she having a night feed at 2? Just wondering, because she may actually just be hungry... If she is having a feed, are you burping her?

Routine looks good.

Any other behaviours going along with the small intake? Does she resist feeds at all? Are you using the appropriate teat on the bottle?

Offline StlMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 20:51:40 pm »
She isn't taking a 2 am feed.  I was actually thinking about trying that tonight to see if that helps.  Sometimes its so hard to take a step back and look at your own situation and just need some outside suggestions.

She is currently using a size 2 nipple so I thought about trying the next size up to see if it made any difference.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 00:28:28 am »
Its really normal for a baby this age to be having a DF and a NF regularly, so that could be it. Frequent waking often indicates hunger to discomfort - if its still happening after giving her a feed, then we can look at other things but hunger would be the first thing to rule out.