Author Topic: Will eat for others but not for me!  (Read 1295 times)

Offline bluebell568

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Will eat for others but not for me!
« on: November 12, 2012, 19:44:15 pm »
My dd is 14 months and I find it really difficult to get her to eat any proper meals at home.

Since we started weaning at 6 months I have always found her reluctant to eat savoury dishes. She has always liked yoghurts, fromage frais, custard and porridge. She likes toast, phillidelphia sandwhiches and scones. She has always liked fruit and eats plenty of it.
Everything else is very hit and miss. Sometimes she will eat something like mashed potato and other times she won't touch it. Each day when I make her meal I have no idea whether she will even try some of it. It seems to be particularly bad recently.  Something she eats one day might be completely refused the next day. She used to like egg or omlette but has refused that the last few times I have offered it. Quite often she will have one or two mouthfuls and then refuse the rest.  All her meals are home made. I have only ever bought 2 "jars" for her and she refused to eat either.

The thing that I find really hard is that at nursery she eats everything they offer her! Each day her diary comes home and it nearly always says she has eated all her lunch and all her tea. Sometimes she has had seconds! At nursery she eats, tuna fish pie, chilli and rice, red lentil lasagne, chicken and veg curry, roast chicken dinner, sausage cassserole, cottage pie, jacket potato with cheese and beans, bolognaise....... The only thing she doesn't like at nursery is soup but she even ate that this week!

I have asked at nursery and they say the meals aren't pureed, they come looking like the meals we would eat and they are served on a spoon or using fingers as appropriate. This is the same as we do at home although I perhaps let her use her fingers for more things (like weetabix, mashed potato, risotto) if she wants to.

I was convincing myself that it was because at nursery she sees all the other children eating but then I came home today and she has been at home with her grandparents and they tell me she has eated everything they offered her and wanted more! I know that if I'd offered her the same things she would have had a few mouthfuls and then refused.

Sorry for the long post but apart from the stress it causes me to make something I think she likes and then for her to refuse to touch it, I am worried that food is becoming a bit of a battle ground at home and I'd like to do something straight away to make sure this doesn't happen. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
Re: Will eat for others but not for me!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 05:37:14 am »
Bumping you up, hon

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d