Author Topic: Pureeing Meats  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Pureeing Meats
« on: November 13, 2012, 19:26:45 pm »
So, we had a visit to our doc today where I learned that DS is only in the 10th percentile for weight!  At close to 7 months he only weighs 15.5lbs!  My doc wasn't overly concerned, but she gave me some more guided instructions to feeding solids.  I was using the 'slow and steady' approach and didn't want to jump into anything too quickly and was feeding 2 meals a day of fruits and veggies.  My doc said our day needs to look like this:

Breakfast - cereal & fruit
Lunch - fruit, veggies, meat
Dinner - fruit, veggies, meat, cereal (or cereal can be offered before bed)

She said that he needs cereal and meat 2 x times a day for the iron content which will help to boost weight.  Now, I make all his purees at home, which leads me to the meat question.  Pureeing meat, lordy that sounds gross!  The doctor said I could puree it with low-sodium broth, or leftover water from boiled veggies.

Just wanted some insight from others who have pureed meats - best methods?  Baking the meat?  Braising in water/broth?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 20:05:40 pm »
Has he always been in the 10th percentile?

I always used Annabel Karmel's recipes for meat dishes and they really were lovely. 

Pureeing meat, lordy that sounds gross! 
Thats exactly what i did.  I made say a beef casserole and picked out the chunks of meat, pureed in a blender and mashed the rest (don't puree white potatoes....ugh!) and then mixed it together. 

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
Re: Pureeing Meats
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 20:11:18 pm »
I used Annabel Karmel's book too and my DD loved the meat recipes. It was always dishes with veggies and stuff so it was easier to puree than meat alone, and it didn't taste bland.
Elise

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 20:24:12 pm »
He was in the 25th percentile for weight at his 4 month appt, but has dropped.  Neither me or DH are heavy people, and I am definitely on the skinny side, so it's not surprising. 

Thanks for the info, I will check out her books!  I was going to mix some of the veggies with the meat after they are pureed, but it is sounding like mixing them all together might be a better plan.

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 20:27:09 pm »
same here re AK's books....& i just used a hand held blender for pureeing (a cheapy one!!!)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 20:35:01 pm »
My DD2 was always in the 9th percentile.  She dropped from 25th at 4 months to 9th at 6 months and has stayed there.  BUt there was never really a concern with her weight because she was always little KWIM?  She wouldn't have a bar of purees so I just had to hand her chunks of food and let her get on with it.  And she is a fab eater now.