Author Topic: Weaning breastmilk to formula  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Ffi12

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 14, 2012, 16:39:41 pm »
Currently my LO is 17 weeks old.  He is taking half formula (3oz per feeding) and half breastmilk  (3 oz per feeding) in each feeding.  I am planning to stop pumping when I get back to work in a month or so.  When he was 5 weeks old, I tried to give him only formula and he had a really hard time digesting it - a lot of gas and crying.  Hence, I continue with pumping to give him some breastmilk to help his digestion plus all the good stuff he gets in it :D  He is currently on Enfamil Infant formula.  No reflux.

How best to slowly stop the breastmilk to get his little tummy used to just formula?  I am wondering how long does it take for him to digest breastmilk and formula.  Should I start it during the day (that means he will be digesting the content into the night, I assume) or during the night?  How long should I allocate time to transition? 

Thank you! 

Offline maggie2

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Re: Weaning breastmilk to formula
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 21:07:10 pm »
Maybe try a different formula?  Could be that he was reacting to something in it.

But in any case, I would try to do a mixed bottle - first with mostly breast milk and a little bit of formula, and slowly increase the amount of formula and decrease the amount of breast milk in each bottle until he can take a full bottle of formula.

Offline Tay

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 21:20:37 pm »
Hiya,
I agree with maggie about slowly increasing the amount of formula, and since he's already drinking half and half it should be straight forward.
I would probably only do it on one feed to start with, maybe a morning feed in case he doesn't react too well you can deal with it during the day. Once he's taking a full bottle of formula on that feed then you can start changing the other feeds.
HTH
xxx

Offline Ffi12

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 21:24:39 pm »
Thank you both!  Sounds like good idea.  I will try it out.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 21:53:24 pm »
Hi hun... are you in the USA/Canada?

If so, I would consider moving to GoodStart formula... my DD had a terrible time with Enfamil...  GoodStart only contains whey protein (easier to digest) whereas Enfamil and most other brands contain whey and caesin protein (the latter is difficult for some LOs to digest).

Offline Ffi12

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 21:56:02 pm »
Kara,  I am in the west coast.  I will check out good start.  He is doing fine with half breastmilk and half enfamil now.  I think it may be they he is much older now with more developed digestive system.  If it does not work,  I will try good start.  Thanks!

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 22:00:13 pm »
For sure ;)  DD still can't have Enfamil - she's 2 ;)