Author Topic: 8 week old NW's  (Read 10947 times)

Offline jcsmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • We're in Toronto, Canada
Re: 8 week old NW's
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2012, 12:59:10 pm »
And now no naps! Yesterday she had a 30 minute a 40 minute and hour 45 a 50 minute and we put her down for bed at 6 and she woke 40 mins later and would not sleep til 8:30. She did a 5 hour stretch in the swing and then was up pretty much the rest of the night. She doesn't seem in pain at all. Just wide awake. She doesn't cry at all. I don't get it. I am sick with worry. Could reflux really cause her to just lie awake?

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2012, 23:25:35 pm »
Could reflux really cause her to just lie awake?
Yes, it could. It could also be silent reflux where she's not actually sicking up but that's double the burn - up and back down.

Have a read of this list of symptoms: Reflux 101 - General reflux information

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2012, 00:53:04 am »
She does sound really OT too and that can wire them but as bec says, not all LOs scream with reflux ;)
What A time are you going now? X
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline jcsmom

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2012, 14:15:52 pm »
She is super OT now. We backed up her A to an hour and she's taking 1.5-2 hours of A to fall asleep and then sleep for 30-40 mins even in the swing. Yesterday was brutal. We tried from 5:30-8:30 to get her to sleep in the swing. She'd wake every 30 mins. Then was up from 11:15-12:15. And from 2:45-5. Then she slept from 5-6:15 and again for 10 mins and was up at 7. She's had a 40 minute nap since then. I really don't think it's reflux I just think she's so OT we can't get out of the cycle and I am losing it. Yesterday she had 10 hrs of sleepep total. Nothing is working not even the swing.

Offline jcsmom

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2012, 15:28:36 pm »
I put her down after 55 mins of A and she just fell asleep after 1.5 hrs of A. She yawned after 40 mins of A. I am so confused. And exhausted. I haven't slept in days. Got maybe 1 hour last night. I just think she is so OT now. Going bonkers. Should we just ditch the swing? It's the only place I can get her to sleep. Not car, on me, sling, stroller.  Oh, awake after a nice restful 5 minute nap. Gahhhh.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2012, 00:39:02 am »
Hugs, ok is she swaddled? I can't remember? ... Have you tried a dark room, white noise etc? With these naps, how does she eventually go to sleep? - and how does she wake up?
***Sara***

Offline jcsmom

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2012, 12:38:26 pm »
She is swaddled, dark room, white noise in her swing. Last night we left her in her swing and she slept til 3:30! I went to check on her and she was wide awake. But quiet! So I nursed her and she pretty much has been awake since except a 40 minute sleep. Timing her first nap is so hard because since 3:30 she's only had 40 minutes. So she's so tired in the AM. Am I doing the right thin shortening her A time to 1 hour with these bad naps? If her AM nap is 30 or 40 mins should her A be even shorter? We tried for a 5th nap yesterday and wouldn't take one so she was awake from 4:30-6:50. Si frustrating.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2012, 18:29:56 pm »
Have you got her cot elevated? Is she sleeping in the swing with it going or just still?

Waking after 30min really suggests pain to me. Will she sleep any other way than in the swing?

Sticking out her tongue... it rings little bells for me but I can't figure why. Will ask around for you.

Any signs of reflux discomfort Hun?
The tongue thing is a classic reflux symptom, and also for hunger too which is why it can be mistaken ::)
GS are the pits with refluxers because you never know what's going on. I'm wondering if there is some discomfort, then frequent feeding or a GS has created more of a problem and upset her nights KWIM?
Reflux 101 - General reflux information

Personally I think she's to young to have a swing prop...but that's just my opinion ;) 12-16 weeks is more when props really develop. X

I still think this sounds like discomfort.
Can you answer the above Qs to help us work it all out with you.

How long do you try for her to sleep in in your arms before giving up.

I wouldn't shorten her A anymore than 40/45 mins
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 18:39:04 pm by Erin M »
***Sara***

Offline jcsmom

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2012, 19:24:48 pm »
She doesn't show signs of discomfort at all. She's a happy baby. She spits up but not all the time and just a little. Her cot is elevated. She sleeps in my arms or beside me the later part of the night because she is so unsettled when I put her down. Even in my arms she is unsettled in the morning hours. Just really jerky. Sleeps/wakes roots for my breast/latches/sleeps again. This goes on for hours so I never really know her wake time. Her first nap is never good. 30-40 mins so I shorten her next A to 45 mins and still a 40 minute nap. So far today she's had 3. So for her 4th again, I put her down at 45 mins A and after 1.5 hrs A she was still not asleep so my mom is out in the stroller with her. And this is in the swing. Even that's not working. Last night same thing. At 5:15pm she showed signed of being ready (fussy, red eyes, yawn so we put her down at 55 A) and no nap. I am so confused. I thought after a short nap to shorten A times. We can't seem to figure out what A works because right now nothing is working to get her decent day sleep. She turned 10 weeks last Friday.

Offline jcsmom

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2012, 14:41:57 pm »
Yesterday was the worst. She had 4 or 5 40 min naps and in the carriage she slept for 20 mins. We put her down at 6:15 and she was out cold until 12:15. The she slept from 1-2:30. The from 2:30 onwards nothing. I even put her in her swing and she finally fell asleep at 4:20-5:20. At 5:20 I nursed her and she was awake until 6:20 when I decided to throw in the towel and get up. I put her down for her nap at 7 and she cried and fussed til after 8 and then slept for 37 minutes. I am done. Done, done, done. 

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2012, 18:04:59 pm »
These '
She sleeps in my arms or beside me the later part of the night because she is so unsettled when I put her down. Even in my arms she is unsettled in the morning hours. Just really jerky. Sleeps/wakes roots for my breast/latches/sleeps again. This goes on for hours so I never really know her wake time.
Are all signs of discomfort to me Hun ??? Discomfort will cause OT too... A tight swaddle will help with the jerkiness.

Hugs
***Sara***

Offline jcsmom

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2012, 18:15:16 pm »
She's swaddled in the Miracle Blanket. So if she was uncomfortable then why wouldn't she sleep in the swing? I am so confused. She doesn't act during the day like she is.
Also we shortened her A due to terrible nights and 40 minute naps and now all naps are 40 mins. We shortened them to 50 mins swaddle wind down in hopes of asleep by 1 hr. Now she's taking up to 1.5 A to fall asleep and still doing 40 min naps. So I can't do an EASY because she's all over the place. Not one good nap in days. Should I take her to the dr for reflux?

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2012, 19:57:03 pm »
So if she was uncomfortable then why wouldn't she sleep in the swing?
because its comforting, or elevated? - it moves just like we do when we try to settle.
My refluxer will sleep in the baby hammock, sometimes my arms, a baby seat sometimes but not the bassinet ::) We will get there but he does a lot of behavioral things like your Lo is doing. :-\
As Bc says silent reflux isnt about the spit up, its what we adults call heartburn, and doesnt always include spitup.
I wonder also if she has tummy troubles...do you wind her after every feed? Does she have gas?

40min naps are common at this age. We get a lot of them ::) if you cant resettle try not to panic, just get her up and carry on with another short A time. I wouldn't bother with any shorter than 45mins-1hr though. HUGS it is tough
***Sara***

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2012, 20:24:22 pm »
Not sleeping in the swing... could just be that whatever discomfort is going on is getting worse and the swing is no longer doing the job. That crashing and sleeping that really long stretch at the beginning of the night is pretty classic discomfort-related OT.

I think its worth at least taking her to the doc and talking about the behaviours you're seeing -  the constant seeking of the breast even soon after feeding, the decrease in sleep, the refusal to sleep even in the swing, the spitting up - what does it look like, does she seem bothered by it, what does it smell like? what does her breath smell like?

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2012, 20:33:05 pm »
Sorry I read that wrong ::) but yes as bec says, at some point even comforting things don't work ;)
***Sara***