Author Topic: food intolerance (mine) and BF LO  (Read 1516 times)

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« on: November 22, 2012, 13:53:40 pm »
It looks like I've developed dairy and soy intolerance.   :-\ I've lots of questions about that so if anyone wants to tell me their story of developing such intolerances, please go ahead (is it possible to test? or is it only by an elimination diet? can I get rid of it?).

My main query is about LO2, who's just turned 6 months and is starting solids.  The other day I had tofu + soy sauce at lunchtime and then a soy yoghurt after dinner.  The next day, bad tummy for me.  LO didn't seem very bothered but she did have bad smelly wind and then a fairly big, unpleasant poo.  Seemed like she was suffering from the soy too: is that just because I was not in top form? or would she be soy intolerant too?   Is there a test or is the diagnosis just from experience?
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: food intolerance (mine) and BF LO
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 18:29:45 pm »
Bumping this up for you  :-*

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 18:50:42 pm »
Hi, I am not sure that if you are intolerant to soy then it would pass onto your LO through BM  ??? Has she shown any other symptoms of intolerances? Maybe it was just the amount of soy in that day that upset her, and you?

The main way tell of an intolerance is to remove the offender and if symptoms improve then that is a clue. Many people would say the to re-introduce and watch for any reactions to be a totally sure that is the cause.

HTH

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 20:21:24 pm »
Thanks, both, that's very helpful.  I'm not too worried but I'll just be cautious introducing her to different foods.  Curiously, I accidentally ate soy mince the other day (veggie chilli on jacket potato, it was so tasty!) and didn't feel too bad after.  She showed no signs either. So hopefully I'm not soy intolerant and neither is she!  The big problem would be the way soy creeps into unexpected things, bread and so on.  Thanks again.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 22:25:55 pm »
Maybe you both had a mild bug that upset your tummies? Maybe replicate what you ate that day and see if you both get the same reactions?!  :P