Author Topic: mineral water?  (Read 2148 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
mineral water?
« on: November 23, 2012, 14:50:01 pm »
I know new borns and infants shouldn't be given mineral water (for example to make up formula feeds) but does anyone know at what age it becomes safe?

On the rare occasion that we are out and about and don't have a drink for DS it seems mineral water is usually available but not always spring water which is the 'safer' option.  Just wondering if it's safe for him to have the mineral water now?

Offline Seona1973

• Showing Appreciation 21
Re: mineral water?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 16:16:45 pm »
Its only really in an issue when they arent having other foods and drinks. Just try to choose one with a low sodium content.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 22:31:28 pm »
Oh, that makes life easier. Good to know. Thanks.

Offline 15milner

• Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 22:46:25 pm »
i'd probably say that you'd be better off giving the mineral water than NOT giving fluids. Proceed with care.

A

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 13:15:10 pm »
I just ask for tap water.  It's normally free too!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 09:08:43 am »
LT not everywhere will give tap water.  For instance my local supermarket (Asda) has a cafe but will not give tap water as they say it is not drinking water, not a clean enough source.  It really surprised me, they can only use the water to wash up and make hot drinks.  It was there that I was caught out one day, I can't remember now if DS had finished his water that I'd carried or if for some reason I didn't have any on me.  After a long winded discussion with the lady at the cafe regarding the tap water I then had another long winded discussion because she was insisting that the small bottles (mineral water) were ok for LOs rather than the much larger (spring water) bottle I bought.
I think one or two or the parks we go to are the same although it's rare not to have a drink for DS from home so it's just the odd occasion.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 09:29:35 am »
hmm... sounds dodgy to me ::)

interesting thread as i've sometimes wanted to give DS a bit of bubbly mineral water as a treat- like fizzy drink- but have been turned off by the sodium worries (not that i'm THAT worried... )
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 09:47:51 am »
Katy, my DS has had a couple of very small sips from a coke on maybe 2 occasions when we've been eating out.  I wouldn't encourage fizzy drinks but it's been so rare, like when I let him have real cake or dessert (ie not sugar free, not home made).  Funny boy though, he will more often than not refuse anything with sugar in and 'demand' fruit instead.
I think it is the level of minerals in the mineral water as well as the sodium that isn't good for them (like when a kettle is double boiled, it mineralises the water or something)

I think the supermarket cafe is just not set up for giving tap water.  If the water comes from a tank it's ok to boil it in the urns they have for tea and coffee or to cook with but wouldn't be classed as drinking water.

My brother had no choice but to make all his LOs formula bottles from mineral or spring water from NB because he lives in China and doesn't have clean tap water (as a widower there was no option for breast feeding).  In that case bottled water is the safer option but in the UK we are advised to stay away from bottled water unless in emergency circumstances.  I was a bit worried about my brothers LO having mineral or spring water but see there was no other option for him.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 18:09:14 pm »
That's odd re the Asda thing.  I doubt very much that Asda policies say it's ok to clean utensils in non potable water.  I'd email them personally.  I would think any of the options for a toddler would be ok as a one off, just keep an eye on the overall sodium in the whole day.  There are people who don't worry about this kind of thing (I'm not one of them!)  I regularly see toddlers eating crisps!  What's that about???
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 21:44:02 pm »
I regularly see toddlers eating crisps!  What's that about???
True.  And I'm worried about water! haha!