Author Topic: Should I feed twice or 3 times a day?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Vee119

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Should I feed twice or 3 times a day?
« on: December 03, 2012, 22:37:18 pm »
My LO has been on solids since she was 5mo. She is now 6.5mo and absolutely loves everything we have tried so far and always has her mouth wide open for each spoonful.  Until a visit to the doctor a couple of weeks ago, I was feeding her twice a day capping each meal at 2 Tsp - she would definitely have taken more if offered. My doc suggested shifting to 3times a day instead of increasing the quantity of each feed so we now do 3 meals a day. We typically have 2Tsp cereal in the morning, 2Tsp of veggies in the afternoon and 2 Tsp of fruit in the evening unless we are introducing a new food in which case we do 1Tsp of the new food in the morning and drop the cereal. I am still capping her meals at 2 Tsp because I worry about her not drinking enough milk - she is BF. I read in a previous post by Mayaascher that a good way to tell if milk consumption is down is to consider NW. My LO, on good nights, currently wakes up twice (we don't do a DF)?  I was just curious about the difference between 2 feeds vs. 3 feeds a day.  My LO definitely wants more food, but I don't want anymore NW than we already have. Would it make a difference to milk intake if I fed her breakfast and lunch only still capped at 2 Tsp.  When do I increase the amount of food?  She would definitely take more now if I gave it to her...

Offline Seona1973

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Re: Should I feed twice or 3 times a day?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 21:44:06 pm »
As long as you breastfeed first about an hour before food then I would give her as much as she wants.  Maybe introducing some protein (meats/fish, etc)  and more complex carbohydrates (pasta, rice, etc) will help fill her up more.  I'd offer some finger foods too.

Offline Vee119

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Should I feed twice or 3 times a day?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 23:39:30 pm »
Thanks Seona1973. Does it matter if I feed her twice versus three times a day?  I'm still unsure about why there are those two options.