Author Topic: certain solids causing reflux?  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
certain solids causing reflux?
« on: December 04, 2012, 14:29:30 pm »
Hi All my LO is 6.5 months old. I've finally gotten him to do 2Tb in the AM after bottle and 2Tb in the afternoon after bottle. But he's pretty picky. So far Sweet potatoes and prunes are the only things he likes. Peaches he'll deal with and I usually mix with prunes. Banana he hated and got very constipated on. Carrots and Pear may be causing a reflux episode? He was always a silent refluxer so I don't know what this new vomiting is. His reflux is pretty under control on Zegerid 2X a day.  When he had carrots the other day he took a few spoon fulls then all of a sudden vomited a bunch at once milk and carrots. So we waited a few minutes and tried again and the same thing happened. Then yesterday we tried pears it happened once but we were able to finish the rest. This AM I tried pears again and he vomited and then about 30 seconds later vomited again. I'm assuming this is reflux? I thought pears weren't supposed to cause reflux?

Second question, I think I'm going to have to try cereal again. But Liam gets constipated and gassy easily so what's better rice or oatmeal?
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
Re: certain solids causing reflux?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 14:37:52 pm »
I don't have all the answers to your questions, but although pears are usually considered safe, I've heard some moms say it worsened reflux for their LO's. I'm assuming it depends on the variety as well as the ripeness of the pears.

I *think* oatmeal is less constipating than rice.

Another question about the vomiting - usually when solid foods cause increased reflux, it would be more through acidity and therefore pain, than with actual vomiting. Is there any consistency difference with the pears and carrots vs peaches and other foods he's ok with? He could be very sensitive to textures?

Elise

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 15:23:43 pm »
Well these were canned pears Beechnut. I will start making my own foods once I know wha the likes and doens't like. Don't want to go through it all and then have him just refuse it so we're starting slowly with organic pouch or jar food no preservatives etc. then once I get an idea I start it homemade. :) The carrots were definitely thicker than anything else he's tried but the pear is similar to the sweet potato while the prune is the thinnest. He was a silent refluxer and only showed pain when eating. That's since been controlled so not sure what this vomiting is. He doesn't seem in pain and will continue to eat after. He's more shocked and upset by it but doesn't seem painful at all.

**Siobhan**

Offline ENMS

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 21:58:04 pm »
I'd definitely consider thinning the thicker purees and seeing if that makes a difference. There was also someone that posted a few weeks ago on CRC about their refluxer not tolerating bought purees but doing well with homemade so I'd definitely give that a try - I agree it's a PITA but if you do small quantities to start with it should not be that long. 

How much does he vomit everytime?
Elise

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 23:15:27 pm »
What's PITA? I'll try thinning out the carrots but the pears are already pretty thin. I'll try making my own and see if that helps. It's quite  a bit of vomit and multiple times.

**Siobhan**

Offline ENMS

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 00:06:56 am »
PITA = pain in the a$$ :)

I'd probably stay off pears for now, just in case. You could try your own and see if it goes better. Have you had the chance to speak to your dr about FPIES?

Here's what I was talking about earlier - sorry I couldn't link I was on my phone.

Ready made baby foods and reflux

Elise