Author Topic: Question re thickened anti reflux formula?  (Read 1463 times)

Offline mrssat

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Question re thickened anti reflux formula?
« on: December 04, 2012, 20:58:45 pm »
Hi,
Anyone out there use anti reflux/thickened formula?
Reason I ask is because I have posted in the solid food board re my little man reducing his milk feeds following the introduction to solids. He has reduced by a lot and loves solid food. I am doing a mixture of BLW and mushes, he is happy this way..
Any way my question so I am obsessing about what he is taking milk wise and feel like its not enough.
He is on Aptimil AR milk, when you make up the feed and shake it, it always tickens up so much that the bottle looks full. So I make 6oz feed up and by the time it has thickened (you have to leave it a while so it thickens) it looks like there is about 8oz in there. So say he will drink and the liquid goes down to 4ozs mark, should I count that as him drinking 2 ozs or 4? IYKWIM? ha ha
Just wondering if anyone has experienced this with the thicker feeds, this milk is soooo thick. I know this question may sound bit stupid (ha ha) an oz is an oz but I am wondering if he is taking more than I think. Of course if he finishes the feed its easy and I know what he has had.
I have just read on a sticky that between 6-9 months 18-20oz is ok if there are on decent amount of solids. But else where (on this website) I have seen the advice to be a bit more....oh so confusing. I think I need to relax and let him lead me. Why cant I trust him? I was never like this with DD1 and she wasnt a big milk eater.

Thanks for any input x

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Question re thickened anti reflux formula?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 21:26:54 pm »
We used Enfamil AR with my two - it's available to buy from pharmacies and on prescription. It's not so thick in the bottle and thickens more in the stomach. What bottle/ teats are you using? I found the Avent variflow for 6 months+ to be a good one as it's a really fast teat and has 3 levels so you can alter the flow by turning the teat.

If you have made up a 6oz bottle then that's what it is even if the volume increases - there will be 6oz of fluid and 6oz worth of calories and nutrients in the bottle.

The minimum they need from 6 months with solids is 20oz and the dairy in food can count towards the 20oz - that said, the more liquid milk the better really and 24 - 32oz is the "normal" range for babies this age with solids. If he is taking a good amount you may want to scale back a bit and see if you can increase the milk as they shouldn't be dropping milk levels until around 10 months really. Don't forget that milk has more fats and nutrients than early solids.

Does that help?

Laura

Offline mrssat

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 21:58:11 pm »

If you have made up a 6oz bottle then that's what it is even if the volume increases - there will be 6oz of fluid and 6oz worth of calories and nutrients in the bottle.

Ha ha I knew this question sounded mad! I know there is only 6 ozs in the bottle but because the liquid thickens 6ozs looks like 8ozs so therefore if he takes what looks like 2ozs maybe its just 1oz.....oh its hard to explain! ha ha ha :D

We use the variflow on the mam bottles, we had been using the sz 3, which is pretty fast and tbh I think he variflow is only a wee bit faster for him. Oh I like the sound of the 3 levels on the avent variflow, I may check it out. My SIL uses avent so maybe i could borrow a bot and save some pennies and just get the teats.
He has had 21ozs today so far & I am still DF'ing, he normally takes 5 ozs so his intake is okish today. I spoonfed breakie and BLW the rest of his meals, I am sure he didnt get much in during lunch, but he defo ate well at dinner time, (all finger food).
I was thinking about dropping the DF but I am worried he wont make this milk up in the day and miss the calories.
I try to let him lead the way, but its tough when you feel they arent getting what they need.

Lolly thank you so much for the info I think I may scale the solids back, maybe the solids are a bit novel at the mo so he is stuffing his face maybe when he gets bored of them his milk will return to normal.....we'll see. Thanks again! x

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 22:17:27 pm »

Ha ha I knew this question sounded mad! I know there is only 6 ozs in the bottle but because the liquid thickens 6ozs looks like 8ozs so therefore if he takes what looks like 2ozs maybe its just 1oz.....oh its hard to explain! ha ha ha :D

It's a question that comes up a lot really! Even normal formula increases the volume in the bottle a bit - which is why you need to put the water into the bottle first or you won't have enough in it if you add it after the powder!

I would keep the Df for a bit if he is still taking it too!

Laura

Offline mrssat

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 22:22:25 pm »
yeah I think I will keep the DF as long as he takes it.
I think BLW is better for him as well, that way he is really setting the pace and not being stuffed on purees.
I have just realised I have some boots bottles and i think the avent teats fit in to those bots. I think I will give those teats a try.
Cheers hun x