Author Topic: Reaction to almond/coconut milk?  (Read 2764 times)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Reaction to almond/coconut milk?
« on: December 09, 2012, 04:53:16 am »
So, I have tossed the towel in on cow's milk for sure (we did another challenge and had a reaction at only 2 ozs in a go!).

I have found Earth's Own brand almond/coconut blend - seemed to be the perfect blend - lots of good fats (almost 5g in 1 cup/8 ozs) and a decent number of calories because of that fat..

Have been slowly swapping out ounce for ounce in DD's bottle (another issue all together!) for nap and bedtime.  She has been fine (or so I thought)... just realized tonight that she is taking longer to settle at bedtime (up to 30 mins, very unusual for her - typically out in 5-10 max)... same with naps...

Could be a coincidence with a language based leap but is there something that could be causing a reaction/gas??

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
Re: Reaction to almond/coconut milk?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 07:01:17 am »
Kara have a double check that there are no traces of soy in it. Almond Dream did contain some and you may need to give the companies a call to make sure there's no cross traces of anything that will upset her tummy.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 15:43:33 pm »
Vicki - you are a genius!  Just ran to the kitchen and checked the carton - "produced in a facility that also processes soy"

Last night was her worst night since she was about 2 months old... ugh.  I never had to go to her, but I did hear her cry out multiple times... with a really bad one around 130am :(

Back to formula.

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 17:16:43 pm »
(((hugs))) Kara :(
Elise

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 20:24:51 pm »
Thanks Elise - it didn't even occur to me to watch out for soy... she isn't MPI/MSPI so for some reason I totally blanked on the protein similarity issue...  And, I have never considered soy milk simply because of the estrogen issues... and it's gross, IMO ;)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 22:50:21 pm »
Could totally be the soy cross contamination BUT it could also be something like guar gum or carrageenan (if it has either or both of those). I only buy Native Forest canned coconut milk OR preferably make my own (it's super easy).
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 01:23:08 am »
((Hugs)) kara :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 04:09:50 am »
BUT it could also be something like guar gum or carrageenan (if it has either or both of those)

Thanks Karen - but I would expect she has been exposed to both of those without issue given that she is fine with all dairy except liquid milk and apparently liquid soy, no?  She is also fine with cooked milk items like sauces etc...

We did find a brand that is soy free, but she doesn't like it (and I agree with her LOL).  Blue Diamond gets a thumbs down!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 12:33:44 pm »
She would not have necessarily been exposed to those items, no. And they are known to cause gastro distress in a fair number of LOs. I can tell you how to make homemade coconut milk if you like (it's super easy) and/or I'd try the Native Forest organic canned if you can find it (you can buy their LIGHT) one or the full fat and water it down. Or Trader Joe's makes a good canned Light coconut milk. Both are BPA free.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 21:43:55 pm »
I'm in Canada :)  No Trader Joes here... and I am stuck in a fairly small city (under 100,000) so most things are hard to come by here...

Thanks for the offer though!  The brand we found that is soy free isn't all that tasty apparently - DD refuses it outright.. I tried it and have to agree with her ;)

So, I will start to slowly reduce her formula intake and that will be it :)  She is a huge fan of all other dairy so I really am not concerned that she doesn't like milk (or any version of it).