Author Topic: Started solids today and need help  (Read 1454 times)

Offline mandij08

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 11, 2012, 23:34:22 pm »
So DD has food allergies. I am on a strict diet so I can cont to BF, anyway I have had squash in my diet with no problems and gave DD squash today.  (her first food ever)   She just had a blow out in her diaper. Didnt see any blood, very little mucous and t was a little foamy too.           She ate about a jar of stage 1 today.       Do you think she had to much,  that cause this? Or is this food a no go for her to have????????               

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: Started solids today and need help
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 23:57:20 pm »
How old is your LO?

A full jar is a lot for a first meal.  I just started DS2 on solids and though he would have eaten more I only gave him a couple of tablespoons of baby food for the first few days to be able to see if there is a reaction and then I am going to slowly increase it.  He gobbles it up so happily and I feel bad only giving him a little bit, as everything else has been such a battle with him (reflux, food intolerances etc), but I know that slow and steady is the best way to do it!!
-Nadia

Offline mandij08

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 15:21:46 pm »
HI!! DD is 5mths and 1 wk..... she had 1 oz 2xtimes that day, so a totally of 2oz total. I wasnt sure if that was to much, she wanted to keep eating and I felt bad too and later regretted it when she had the blowout. She seems to be good now. I wasnt sure how much and when to give. I totally get that Breast milk is all she needs for night now, so I dont wanna give her to much solids either.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Started solids today and need help
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 22:28:21 pm »
I would say that is a lot of food to give the very first time at only 5 months. A couple of mouthfuls once a day I think is about right. It just takes their little tummies a while to get use dto having solids going through them, they have never had solid food beofre. I would take it very very easy especially if she has allergies and is already delicate.

Offline mandij08

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 00:25:13 am »
Thanks!! My pedi said about 1/2-1jar or let the baby lead the way, but I didnt ask how much at first. She is doing much better now:) Thanks!  :)