Author Topic: Introducing milk - reactions whilst body settles?  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Introducing milk - reactions whilst body settles?
« on: December 15, 2012, 21:22:07 pm »
Hi,

We are introducing milk slowly into Olly's diet as he is now no longer has a fast recting allergy to it! Yesterday he had a bowl of macaroni cheese and last night he had a NW and was a bit itchy and had a bit of wind. Now these things could of course be entirely unrealted, we think he is having a bit of a sleep regression as he approaches his birthday.

My question is though - as his body gets used to the milk proteins could he react a bit with the symptoms above? I am wondering whether to stop the dairy or just keepgoing and hope that if he is reacting that it is just as his body adjusts  ???

I have also heard that you should keep the diary intake up so his body doesn't go back to being allergic?  ???

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Introducing milk - reactions whilst body settles?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 21:48:37 pm »
I have also heard that you should keep the diary intake up so his body doesn't go back to being allergic? 

I've heard this too, but personally I think if something is causing issues it is best avoided rather than damaging your intestines...but then who ever really knows??? 
Heidi

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 21:51:24 pm »
I am not 100% it is causing issues KWIM. Had to happen same time as regression didn't it?!  ::)  ;)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 23:23:14 pm »
Of course! Every time I want to re-intro a food soemthing else happens at the same time to make me question it. I'm considereing ggetting DH to feed her gluten randomly for a day or two without telling me so I won't be biased in my assessment of her rxns.
Heidi

Offline katyusha

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Kate mum to E, M, F and 2 little souls in heaven
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 23:35:02 pm »
Buntibear, I am in the same place!
M passed a milk challenge on the 6th so last Sunday I gave him baked pizza with cheese and the poo was truly gross and liquid. Rang the dietitian and she said to hold off the milk even though it is in the middle of the weaning chart they gave me to follow before the blood tests and the milk challenge were done. They said that while the protein of baked cheese is more altered by cooking, being cheese it is more concentrated. So we tried warmed up cow milk (like in the challenge) and his eczema returned, itching, smelly poo, however not diarrhea. We tried boiled cooled milk and still rashes. So we are off cow milk for today and no new spots. On Monday after a 2 day break I will buy him a croissant. That is the first stage in the milk introduction chart (baked goods containing milk powder, e.g. Reach tea biscuits). We will see how this goes. But yes, itching, rashes, flatulence, diarrhea - sounds familiar. Best of luck to you and Olly!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 11:33:33 am »
Hi Kate,

Yeah we seem to have the same plan. Baked milk, then it is onto milk that has been cooked for 30 mins.

Olly was up 3 times last night. DH said at the 4am one Olly sounded like he was coming down with a cold but he is OK this morning so I am thinking that it is mucous from the dairy. Just one more symptom so we are giving the dairy a rest for a few days to see if things improve. Will then reintroduce as a further challenge.

Offline katyusha

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Kate mum to E, M, F and 2 little souls in heaven
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 21:51:54 pm »
Best of luck! Misha had runny nose from eggs last year and we thought it was a cold! He had been on ventolin so much those few months last year that asthma doctor finally suspected an allergy and was right. Best of luck!