Author Topic: Do I have to pump when weaning from BF or is there another way?  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Chrissy2000

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Do I have to pump when weaning from BF or is there another way?
« on: December 31, 2012, 03:43:40 am »
Just wondered... I have had trouble with blocked ducts (OUCH) if I have missed a feed and not pumped but I saw in the BWSAYP book that it shouldnt be as much of a problem after 8 months.  So I am a bit hesitant about just dropping a feed and going to the bottle or the sippy for that feed.  DS is now 9 months and I would like to get him onto bottle/sippy for the morning tea and afternoon tea feeds by the time he is one.  We are currently 4 BF feeds and three decent meals of solids each day, so I'd like to keep the wu and bt feeds until then and then wean off those too.  And advise would be greatly appreciated.  I cant remember what I did with DD (7 years on) I think from memory it was such a painful nightmare feeding her I just dropped the feeds, but I had no trouble with blocking with her.  Thanks in advance.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Do I have to pump when weaning from BF or is there another way?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 20:49:30 pm »
Personally I didn't pump when dropping feeds. I know some people just hand expenses a little to relieve any discomfort. You wouldn't want to pump an entire feed as then your breasts would continue to make the milk for that feed when presumably you want your supply to level out to the number of feeds you are doing at the time.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline scruffymax

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 00:55:08 am »
My LO dropped BF cold turkey at 7.5 months.  I had previously pumped every morning (she only ever took one side and I had to pump the other for comfort!) but when the wean happened I only pumped when absolutely necessary for comfort, and my milk dried up within a week - it was a much quicker process that I expected, as I'd planned to drop a feed at a time.  I had a bout of mastitis a few weeks before this so was super careful!  I think if you wean gradually there's no reason why you can't drop from 4-3 feeds, give it 3 days+, then drop another feed, leaving the morning and night feeds as the last ones to go.

Offline Chrissy2000

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 21:30:47 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  Now I just have to get to doing it!  Since we have finally hit our stride with the whole bfing thing it seems kind of a waste to give it up - but I dont want to be feeding a 2 year old!  I want to drop the daytime feeds to give us a bit more freedom - since DD has after school swimming etc and I'm not one of those mums who is comfortable BF in public, would be easier to just hand him a bottle or cup and let him do his thing.  What a change from the last one where I suffered the whole way through to 7 months and then gave up in agony...irony, now I've gotten the hang of it I cant bring my self to stop....DOH!!!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 21:46:53 pm »
Why are you stopping BFing if you don't want to? Your DS is a long way off 2yo. And did you know that the WHO recommend BFing for "2yrs and beyond"?
We actually have a support thread for mamas who are BFing LOs 12mo+ Extended Nursing Support Thread Part 5

I'm not saying you should carry on but if you and he are happy then his age is no reason to stop :)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 21:47:26 pm »
lol....BFing is like that, isnt it?!?!
i pumped alright when i was weaning, but i had issues with oversupply so it was more of a comfort thing for me....i was also terrified of gettingmastitis!!!it did delay the drying-up process but that was worth it for my own comfort, iykwim?i pumped less & less each da7 & tbh, it wasn't a huge deal-in fact-it was 5 mins  that i had all to myself!!!i quite enjoyed it!xxx